Ubuntu 18.04.2 problem

Meeditation

Apr 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

It's been 5 days that I try to install Ubuntu 18.04.2 and it always fails; The installation itself goes well but when I remove the installation drive (iso image) and reboot it, the VM remains stuck at the boot from "HD drive" or at the " grub rescue";

I tried changing the Graphic card to "VMware compatible" and it didn't work, I tried also creating 1Gb partition at the beginning of my disk and it didn't work.

P.S: My config:
HDD: 10TB (50GB for swap and the rest in ext4)
RAM: 50Gb
Processor: (30 cores - Host)

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks

hi

I tried changing the Graphic card to "VMware compatible" and it didn't work,

if it's getting stuck on grub rescue, this is unlikely to have any effect. if i had to take a guess, i'd be looking for a partitioning/boot partition issue.

* how are you partitioning while installing ubuntu?
* do you see any error message on grub?

Reactions: Meeditation
hi

if it's getting stuck on grub rescue, this is unlikely to have any effect. if i had to take a guess, i'd be looking for a partitioning/boot partition issue.

* how are you partitioning while installing Ubuntu?
* do you see any error message on grub?

Thank you for your reply;

* I tried everything that comes to my mind:

- Creating a 1 GB partition at the beginning of my drive; Then my main partition in ext4, then a swap partition;
- Create my main partition in ext4 and a swap;
- Creating my main partition in LVM.

* Grub problem:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-05-27 11-21-15.jpg
    Screenshot from 2019-05-27 11-21-15.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 13
alright.

did you try to install from this iso somewhere else? does it work there?

i'm pretty sure the problem lies in partitioning or choosing the boot partition. maybe you can just do an automatic paritioning and see if that works? that way we rule out that problem if that's not the case.

alright.

did you try to install from this iso somewhere else? does it work there?

i'm pretty sure the problem lies in partitioning or choosing the boot partition. maybe you can just do an automatic paritioning and see if that works? that way we rule out that problem if that's not the case.

Yes, I tried it in VMware. Apparently, it's a problem with only Ubuntu 18.04.2 (I tried 19.04, 16.04 and 14.04.6 and it worked perfectly) and I need this specific version.

how about automatic partitioning while installing? does that work with proxmox?

Apparently, I managed to install it, but with only 1 TB of storage. (I changed the graphics card to VMware compatible and it worked)

it'd be useful for others if you described the exact steps you took while solving the problem.

also, you can mark the thread [SOLVED] if you edit your first post.

it'd be useful for others if you described the exact steps you took while solving the problem.

also, you can mark the thread [SOLVED] if you edit your first post.

First, when creating a new Linux host, we can not allocate + 2TB to a partition. So I only allocated 2TB for my first one, then I changed the graphics card to VMware compatible and it worked. (After installation I added the 2nd partition with the rest of my HDD using GPT)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!