Two Win Vms on proxmox

arjun21122006

Jan 6, 2023
I want to run two Win VM which don't need much gpu or cpu power and a TRUE NAS VM and i want to have the win VM output on physical monitor I plan on not using a GPU and only a Ryzen 5

For a TrueNAS VM you probably want to buy a HBA card and pass that through to your VM. You won't get physical monitor output without passing through a GPU. So you need to buy two GPUs too, one for each of those Win VMs in case you want to run them in parallel with monitor output.
Not that easy to passthrough 3 PCIe devices with consumer mainboards.

Reactions: arjun21122006
Can't i simply pass through sata hdd as I need only 3 disks in truenas?
And can't i do anything with iGPU if I get the G series processor?

Last edited:
Can't i simply pass through sata hdd as I need only 3 disks in truenas?
Depends. You can use disk passthrough but that won't passthrough the real physical disks. Your TrueNAS will only work with virtual disks so stuff like SMART won't work in TrueNAS.
Only way how a VM could access the real physical SATA disks would be to passthrough the whole disk controller with ALL disks attached to it (so no passthrough of individual disks possible).
And can't i do anything with iGPU if I get the G series processor?
Depends. Many mainboards/BIOSs don't allow to passthrough your only GPU. Also keep in mind that hardware can only be used by one OS. Even if you could passthrough that iGPU to your first WinVM, the second WinVM and the PVE host then wouldn't be able to use any hardware acceleration or output any picture.

Last edited:
Ok do I need hba cards only or sata expansion cards will work as hba sas cards are 12000INR+ and sata cards are like 4-5k

For win vm will it work if i have one vm with windows server with multiseat and give it a gt710 or 730

Last edited:
Ok do I need hba cards only or sata expansion cards will work as hba sas cards are 12000INR+ and sata cards are like 4-5k
Keep in mind that the card also needs to support PCI passthrough. You get way better chances that enterprise features like PCI passthrough are supported when buying proper enterprise hardware like the LSI/Broadcom HBA cards. Otherwise its more or less gambling if that SATA card will work or not and reset properly.

For win vm will it work if i have one vm with windows server with multiseat and give it a gt710 or 730
That would be one option.

Keep in mind that the card also needs to support PCI passthrough. You get way better chances that enterprise features like PCI passthrough are supported when buying proper enterprise hardware like the LSI/Broadcom HBA cards. Otherwise its more or less gambling if that SATA card will work or not and reset properly.

That would be one option.
Thanks a lot I just had one more question that if I want to have a caching nvme sss on truenas will I need a pci card for it for all features or it will work fine?

Depends on how your mainboards M.2 slots are connected. If the PCIe lanes are connected to the CPU than you usually should be able to use PCI passthrough. If a M.2 slot is connected to the chipset it might share the IOMMU group with many other devices and then a passthrough into a VM might not be possible.

Depends on how your mainboards M.2 slots are connected. If the PCIe lanes are connected to the CPU than you usually should be able to use PCI passthrough. If a M.2 slot is connected to the chipset it might share the IOMMU group with many other devices and then a passthrough into a VM might not be possible.
Ok and I just had an idea if it would be ok to run TrueNAS Scale as host OS and then run windows VM on it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!