[SOLVED] Truenas in proxmox: avoid network traffic

wilcomir

Oct 16, 2022
Hello everyone!

I have a truenas core instance running inside a vm on a proxmox host.

The host has a total of three NICs, one is dedicated for management/corosync, one is for various other VMs, and the last one is dedicated to truenas. The NIC is not passed through, but I use a bridge if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I want to use truenas to store various things for my cluster, so I created an NFS share for ISO images and CT templates, and added it to proxmox as a shared NFS storage, using the truenas instance IP.

My problem is that traffic for that storage goes through the network, while I would like it to be at memory speed - the difference is not great in my particular case but I would like to avoid saturating the network, especially if I want to add another storage for VM disks and so on.

I think that I should add another network interface to the truenas instance - I believe truenas can cope with that, but on proxmox side I need that to be completely virtual, i.e. just a "local bridge" interface if you will.

Can anyone help me understand how to achieve that?

Thanks!
V

I think that I should add another network interface to the truenas instance - I believe truenas can cope with that, but on proxmox side I need that to be completely virtual, i.e. just a "local bridge" interface if you will.
Just create a Linux Bridge (via Network under System under your node in the Proxmox GUI) without any Bridge ports (leave it empty). You can connect (local) VMs to that bridge and it will all be virtual.

Reactions: disgustipated
Thanks leesteken for the (very) quick answer.

Let me see if I understand correctly:

- I create this virtual linux bridge, no bridge port, probably no IP is necessary as well
- I create an additional network interface for my truenas VM
- inside truenas, I setup a static IP on this additional network interface - let's say 10.1.2.3
- in proxmox, my NFS server ip should change to reflect 10.1.2.3 (also why I think no IP is necessary for the bridge itself)

Is my understanding correct? Thanks!

- I create this virtual linux bridge, no bridge port, probably no IP is necessary as well
A bridge has no IP address, that IP address is for the Proxmox host (if you want it to have a connection to that bridge).
- I create an additional network interface for my truenas VM
- inside truenas, I setup a static IP on this additional network interface - let's say 10.1.2.3
Indeed, use (unique) IP addresses from private subnets and make sure that they do not overlap (with subnets from other bridges).
- in proxmox, my NFS server ip should change to reflect 10.1.2.3 (also why I think no IP is necessary for the bridge itself)
If you want the Proxmox host to be able to connect to servers on that bridge, it needs an IP address on that bridge. So you do need to enter an IPv4/CIDR and it needs to be within the same subnet. You don't need a gateway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!