Trouble setting up ZFS

Hamilcar85

Nov 2, 2022
Howdy! :)

So I just finished installing the hypervisor, and now all of my SAS drives are flipping out when i try to make a ZFS storage pool form them.

As a Single Drive I get...

Error reading device /dev/sdc at 0 length 512.

Error reading device /dev/sdc at 0 length 4096.
# /sbin/zpool create -o ashift=12 Test01 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db336d4
cannot label 'sdc': try using parted(8) and then provide a specific slice: -3
TASK ERROR: command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' Test01 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db336d4' failed: exit code 1

For all of them I get

command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' ZFS01 raidz /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db336d4 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db20af4 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01d5c7010 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db3079c /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01d510bac /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01db26aac /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01dadee50 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-35000cca01d5c3c84' failed: exit code 1

Welcome in the forum! You did not tell us anything about your hardware :-(
  • what kind of computer do you have? Brand? Specific Type?
  • what kind of disk controller does it have? A Raid Controller? Firmware version? "IT"-Mode? Connected to motherboard?
  • what brand/type of disk is it?
  • how do you boot? From the same disk? (Of course not, but you did not tell us...)
  • what is the output of lsblk ? (Please put all output in [CODE]xyz[/CODE]-Blocks)
  • what is the output of smartctl -i /dev/sdc?
  • when you run dmesg, is there some obvious error message regarding sdc? What is the output of dmesg | grep sdc?
  • what gives ls -al /dev/disk/by-id/?
Without giving some information you can not expect any helpful answer...

Last edited:
Welcome in the forum! You did not tell us anything about your hardware :-(
  • what kind of computer do you have? Brand? Specific Type?
  • what kind of disk controller does it have? A Raid Controller? Firmware version? "IT"-Mode? Connected to motherboard?
  • what brand/type of disk is it?
  • how do you boot? From the same disk? (Of course not, but you did not tell us...)
  • what is the output of lsblk ? (Please put all output in [CODE]xyz[/CODE]-Blocks)
  • what is the output of smartctl -i /dev/sdc?
  • when you run dmesg, is there some obvious error message regarding sdc? What is the output of dmesg | grep sdc?
  • what gives ls -al /dev/disk/by-id/?
Without giving some information you can not expect any helpful answer...
Ahoy!

That’s a fair point. I actually ended up solving this myself there’s an issue with one of the 24 SAS drives. I recreated and tor apart the volume adding one drive at a time till I isolated it. Probably not the best way to go about it but I’m new to this.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!