Transfer backups to another datastore

leksand

Aug 28, 2020
Initially, an old server was used for backups. After the commissioning of the storage system, I want to free the server by saving the backups stored on it - transfer them to a new storage. How to do it correctly?

Failed to launch. Local synchronization is needed - between two datastores inside one pbs - the old array and the new iscsi mounted to it.

I can't specify local or pbs name as source remote.

What can be done to synchronize between two datastores inside one pbs?

If you make a simple copy, won't the index fly off, won't there be backup database errors?

iscsi with multipath ext4 fs, mounted, datastore created (empty)

Last edited:
You first have to add the local datastore as remote.

I do not recommend copying, although, if done right, it should work. Please first try using the sync.

You first have to add the local datastore as remote.

I do not recommend copying, although, if done right, it should work. Please first try using the sync.
I mounted pbs as a remote to myself. Synchronization has started. After its completion - change the place of copying copies and you can delete the old datastore and remove the remote or do you need something else?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you mean with "change the place of copying copies". You can delete the old datastore after having synced all the backups, yes.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you mean with "change the place of copying copies". You can delete the old datastore after having synced all the backups, yes.
I didn't quite put it exactly - I meant to change the old datastore to a new one in the backup tasks

Yes, I don't think there's anything else to do.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!