To recover VMs & Containers

Iuri Sampaio

Apr 10, 2019
Hi there,

We had a Proxmox server (v. 5.3.8), which hosts a few VMs and containers. Unfortunately, the server started to present some problems and it didn't reboot anymore. Then, we replaced the HDs, and reinstall a new Proxmox environment (v.5.3.8), from scratch.

Now, we would like to move all the VMs and containers back to their places. We've plugged the old HD, which contains the previous local-lvm (pve), where the old VMs and containers were installed.

Is it possible to recover those old VMs and containers and reuse them in the new Proxmox installation?

How would I import them into this new Proxmox installation?

Best wishes,
I

Hi,

firstly, make a backup of the old disk just in case.
Is it possible to recover those old VMs and containers and reuse them in the new Proxmox installation?
You can try to add the disk as a new storage (LVM-Thin I think, the default for local-lvm) after plugging it in. That way you could directly access the old VMs and CTs. You might need to copy your configs too.

There are other ways, for example copying the LVs.

I've plugged both HD in, and they show as sdb ad sdc. However, when I try to mount them, ut returns a prompt error message
The plan is: once I mount them I will copy the config file, which is within SDC and the LVs, within SDB.

Furhtermore, I'd created a template, which must be saved within SDC. I'll try to recover that too.

Best wishes,
I

Disk /dev/sdb: 232.9 GiB, 250000000000 bytes, 488281250 sectors
Disk /dev/sdc: 149 GiB, 160000000000 bytes, 312500000 sectors

root@pve:~# mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc /media

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so.

Hi,

root@pve:~# mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc /media

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,

did you check if this is the right filesystem? Maybe it's not ext4.

You can also try adding them as new storage directly from the GUI, under Datacenter -> Storage -> Add.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!