Tips on setting up Windows 10 and Linux VMs

Fhalo

Dec 21, 2021
Hi

I'm in the process of re-building VMs. Is they a summery or tips on setting Windows 10 VM for max performance? For example, do I use virtio orIntel E1000 for network device, or use default setting or virtio SCSI for SCSI controller. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi

I'm in the process of re-building VMs. Is they a summery or tips on setting Windows 10 VM for max performance? For example, do I use virtio orIntel E1000 for network device, or use default setting or virtio SCSI for SCSI controller. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Best you use virtio NIC and virtio SCSI for disks. And CPU type "host" should give the best performance if you don't need to migrate VMs between PVE nodes. See the wiki for virtio on windows: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers

Normally, PVE is designed to have already all the performance tweaks automatically set if you set your VM OS correctly. Therefore, there are so many profiles.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!