Tiered storage for PMBackup pools?

WSDJamie

Nov 23, 2022
I was thinking. I'd like to have two different backup pools for proxmox storage. Basically an SSD pool, and a HDD pool. The reason for this would be there may be times when something happens and it's an OH SHIT! We need to restore as fast as possible! Say if we lost a pool in our ZFS VM storage server. In that moment, most likely we're gonna want the latest backup. Typically from the last day or two.

The HDDs would be for historical backup. Oh, this one server has been compromised for a month, let's grab it from the HDD storage because it goes back 6 months or something.

So I guess i'm wondering how to do this. Obviously the best option would be for the last X number of days to live on the SSD pool, then pmbackup would migrate those backups when they age out over to the HDD pool. I don't know that that's an option.

So I guessing maybe I make each of those pools and have the VMs back up twice per night? Once to the SSD pool and again to the HDD pool?

Thoughts?

Hello,

So I guessing maybe I make each of those pools and have the VMs back up twice per night? Once to the SSD pool and again to the HDD pool?
This would certainly be the simplest option if you only want to have a single PBS server with multiple data stores.

In case you could afford to run a second PBS instance, you could use "Sync Jobs" - your clients back up to the SSD PBS server, and the HDD PBS server pulls the contents of the SSD server in regular intervals. Make sure that you do not enable the 'remove vanished' flag for the sync job. For the HDD PBS server, you could then set up appropriate prune options, e.g. keeping backups for 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

This would certainly be the simplest option if you only want to have a single PBS server with multiple data stores.

In case you could afford to run a second PBS instance, you could use "Sync Jobs" - your clients back up to the SSD PBS server, and the HDD PBS server pulls the contents of the SSD server in regular intervals. Make sure that you do not enable the 'remove vanished' flag for the sync job. For the HDD PBS server, you could then set up appropriate prune options, e.g. keeping backups for 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Not exactly the answer i was hoping to hear, but this is super helpful. Thank you so much.

Its also possible to have two Datastores (one on the SSD pool, one on the HDD pool) on the same server and then set up localhost as a target. That way you can use the sync task, as described above, to sync your backups locally from your SSD datastore to your HDD datastore.
But if you got the money for SSD pool, you probably also got the budget for a dedicated offsite PBS server, which would be the more secure choice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!