text mode install

tapsa

May 5, 2012
Is there way to install proxmox as text mode? Usually every time when I install proxmox I use about 90% of time to mash head to wall that get display and mouse work properly. Then 10% goes to installation it self. This is server, not a desktop so why this installer is in graphical mode even at default?
Latest try was asus PN50 light computer. No luck X wont start. Before that I install to supermicro. No luck mouse did not work. And before that it was dell server remote console and also problems with mouse and display. Before that it was old laptop where I try make demo env. At that there was problem with display.

Pro proxmox own installer is so rubbish that most of cases it is better to use Debian installer? It is made for marketing team or what is idea of that graphic installer at first place? Fast googling shows that it is quite hated and it is quite common question that how to do install without it.

Pro proxmox own installer is so rubbish that most of cases it is better to use Debian installer?
No. You asked for a text install mode and therefore I sent you the howto for exactly this. So sorry for answering our question to the point within 10 minutes.

Posting that our project is "rubbish" will probably not motivate our community to help you with your issues.

Fast googling shows that it is quite hated and it is quite common question that how to do install without it.
Google again - this time with the right keywords.

Reactions: Fathi
I think its great that you can install a Debian and convert it into a Proxmox VE. You get so much more options installing Proxmox that way and you get the freedom to do everything you could imagine. I think the ProxmoxVE ISOs graphical installer is more like a beginner friendly way to install it with very limited options so you don't get overwhelmed.

Reactions: FarVision
Posting that our project is "rubbish" will probably not motivate our community to help you with your issues.
Dont get me wrong. I did as you told and I install it via debian installer. And it was not criticism of your help or for community. Help was good and I appreciate that.
But it was criticism for installer. And for persons who decide that it is good idea to make server distro with desktop installer.
Many times it so that developers do great tools. And then someone from marketing department come and say that "I want that this looks better and it can only have one button. Do it like apple do!" And then those developers do it or cry and do it. And result is something what only managers will love to show at powerpoint presentations and users, developers and whole community will hate it.
And again. Proxmox as project is awesome and also users and community. And all criticism is targeted only for that installer.

And all criticism is targeted only for that installer.
You have a graphical installer and a text installer (Debian). So just choose what you prefer.

The graphical installer works great for almost all (99%) recent server vendors (Supermicro, Asus, Dell, HP, IBM, Gigabyte, Asrock ...). You had issues by using an old laptop or a mini pc. - and your Dell server is probably an (very) old model?

We do not limit anyone to use old or non-optimal PCs whatever you have around but yes, we test primarily our target hardware - Servers.

Hey @tom aside from that weird guy xD

Is there any reason why we don't have a text based installer?
i mean technical aspect, like its limited somehow?
And are there plans to implement it in the future?

Cheers

Is there any reason why we don't have a text based installer?
There is already a text based installer - the Debian installer.

There are some ideas to create a Proxmox text based installer but this is on low priority due to the reason above, at the end, development time is limited. Paying Proxmox subscribers are not that interested in supporting mini PCs or old laptops, other feature are MUCH more requested.

Reactions: Ramalama
Also, I've failed to install the PVE 6.x using just a keyboard (without a mouse). Have to got mouse just to switch input focus.

Or ...
  • alt-G to accept license agreement
  • alt-N for Next on each page
  • alt-I to install
  • or TAB to focus next control, shift-TAB for previous control.

this comes up so often just make a text mode installer no one wants or needs a graphical installer for what will invariably be a headless system

Or ...
  • alt-G to accept license agreement
  • alt-N for Next on each page
  • alt-I to install
  • or TAB to focus next control, shift-TAB for previous control.

I've just tested: Alt-g/Alt-n/Alt-i works!

Although it's not obvious to new users how to use it because a letter (G/N/I) not highlighted by default (an user need to press Alt to see underscore under g/n/i). So, I recommend to add navigation via Tab/Shift-Tab as more obvious method to most users.

this comes up so often just make a text mode installer no one wants or needs a graphical installer for what will invariably be a headless system
+1
It would be great to have an easy way to install the proxmox on headless system.
Also, it world be great to be able to use a serial console for installation task.

I've just tested: Alt-g/Alt-n/Alt-i works!
Although it's not obvious to new users how to use it because a letter (G/N/I) not highlighted by default (an user need to press Alt to see underscore under g/n/i). So, I recommend to add navigation via Tab/Shift-Tab as more obvious method to most users.
Sorry for misinformation above. I've tested newer releases and found that Tab/Shift tab is working.

More information: I've tested is Tab/Shift+Tab combination working on "License agreement" screen in different PVE versions. Results:
- 4.3: not working
- 5.4: not working
- 6.1: not working
- 6.3: working
- 7.3: working

Also, an Enter key have been working since 4.3 release (so an user definitely able to perform install without a mouse).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!