Testing Benchmark ZFS Pool

mare19

Jul 20, 2021
Does anyone know how to test the benckmark on a ZFS-Pool? And how can I test it on a Linux VM and Windows VM?

In this PDF I saw the command has been used: https://www.proxmox.com/de/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-zfs-benchmark-2020

command: fio --ioengine=libaio --filename=/dev/sdx --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=write --bs=4K --numjobs=1 --iodepth=1 --runtime=60 --time_based --name=fio

But how can I test the specific Pool or a Linux/windows VM?

Thank you guys!

I did alot of fio ZFS benchmarks here with all commands and infos on what to keep in mind.

Depending on what you want to measure (throughput/IOPS/latency and sync/async) you need to run different fio tests.
If you want to do any read benchmarks you also need to disable caching for your VMs and temporarily forbid your ARC to cache (zfs set primarycache=metadata YourPoolName and later zfs set primarycache=any YourPoolName to restore it) or you will only benchmark your RAM and not your drives read performance.

If you want to test a VM you need to run fio inside your VM.
If you just want to test your pool you could create a new zvol or dataset on your pool, use that mountpoint as fio filename and run fio on your host.

Also make sure that no other VMs/LXCs are running.

Last edited:
Reactions: karnalta
I did alot of fio ZFS benchmarks here with all commands and infos on what to keep in mind.

Depending on want you want to measure (throughput/IOPS/latency and sync/async) you need to run different fio tests.
If you want to do any read benchmarks you also need to disable caching for your VMs and temporarily forbid your ARC to cache (zfs set primarycache=metadata YourPoolName and later zfs set primarycache=any YourPoolName to restore it).

If you want to test a VM you need to run fio inside your VM.
If you just want to test your pool you could create a new zvol or dataset on your pool, use that mountpoint as fio filename and run fio on your host.

Also make sure that no other VMs/LXCs are running.
Great! Thank you for this helpful steps.
Now I understand how it works..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!