Support for nuc 11

mabi87

Mar 31, 2021
Hi,

I tried to install proxmox (6.3) on nuc 11 but it failed.
Are there any plans to support the latest nuc gen?

Kind regards
Maik

Should work, please provide details about your issue.

Thanks for your fast reply. The issue seems to be related with the iwlwifi firmware.

I tried to install the package by adding "non-free" to /etc/apt/sources.list and executing
Bash:
chmod 1777 /tmp
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi

afterwards I was rebooting the server with ctrl-d which brings me again to the installation page, but here I'm getting the same error and my changes seems to be reverted.

IMG_4286.jpg

Kind regards
Maik

After digging deeper into this I found out that PVE is using linux kernel 5.4 which doesn't support Iris XE. For this reason the Xorg server doesn't start up and I couldn't install it.

You can try a 5.11 kernel, if the kernel is the blocker here.

> apt install pve-kernel-5.11

Did the 5.11 kernel work? I'm considering a nuc 11 purchase but proxmox working is a requirement.

I manged to install kernel 5.11, but is there a possibility to resume the installation from the shell? On restart all my changes are gone. Some other thoughs:

Did the 5.11 kernel work? I'm considering a nuc 11 purchase but proxmox working is a requirement.
Still not working ... It might be with Kernel 5.11 but at the moment it is definitely not in a "works out of the box" state ;)

Hi,

I managed to install it on my new NUC 11 Pro NUC11TNHv5 with the help from this description (https://www.rpiathome.com/2020/10/21/proxmox-6-2-1-installation-fails-after-dhcp-lease-obtained/)

1.) Boot ISO from USB
The installer may be unable to start. Then do the following steps:

2.) Error correction
– Switch to TTY3 (ALT+F3)
– Upgrade the system:
###
$ chmod 1777 /tmp
$ apt update
$ apt upgrade
###

Then I also installed the new 5.11 Kernel with adding deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pvetest to /etc/apt/sources.list:
apt install pve-kernel-5.11

– Reconfigure Xorg:
###
$ Xorg -configure
$ mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
$ nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
###
# update Driver from “amdgpu” or what else to “fbdev” in all sections (in my case only one occurence)

3.) Restart Proxmox installer
– Switch back to TTY1 (ALT+F1)
– Wait until the installer stopped with error (unable to continue…)
– Restart the installer with the new Xorg configuration:
$ startx

After that the installation continued and I could reboot into proxmox. There I also installed the new kernel and rebooted. Till now all is fine and the first VM was migrated from my J5005 NUC.

Best regards,
Michael

Hi kevo,

seems I described two steps in one.

To add the test packages to your sources edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list with
Bash:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and add
Bash:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pvetest
at the end of the file. Press Crtl+o to save the file and Crtl+x to leave nano.

With
Bash:
you can now install the required kernel.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kevo.
And don't forget to run apt update after adding a new repository or "apt install" can't use the new repo.

Reactions: kevo.
Hi kevo,

seems I described two steps in one.

To add the test packages to your sources edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list with
Bash:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and add
Bash:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pvetest
at the end of the file. Press Crtl+o to save the file and Crtl+x to leave nano.

With
Bash:
you can now install the required kernel.

Hope this helps.
Mr. Petersilie, thank you very much for the detailed instruction. Unfortunately I wasnt able to get the kernel 5.11 installed. Gave me some errors. So i skipped that part.
I found another instruction just like yours a couple weeks ago. I was just to blind to see, that yours are the same steps.

I found an ISO file with the 5.11 kernel, created an USB stick, bootet it and as soon as the graphic card get check, i cant get a signal. I tried to stop the "driver check" process before the install beginns but it wont work.

hdaudio hdaudioC0D2: Unable to bind the codec

Thats the last that shows on the screen before signal goes out. No more actions possible.

When I install version 6.4 with the 5.4 kernel and do the steps like you said make the Nuc bootable. After installing kernel 5.11 same errors and no display.... strange right?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!