[SOLVED] Suggestions regarding configurations terminology

antipiot

Jan 26, 2019
Hello!
First of all, thanks for you amazing job on Proxmox Backup Server!
I'm not sure if posting this here is fine but wanted to report something i'd like to see improved regarding PBS remote / sync configurations:

Documentation makes it clear: " Sync jobs are configured to pull the contents of a datastore on a Remote to a local datastore "

But when configuring it "live" without documentation it isn't really intuitive.
Is there any chance to clarify this? Maybe calling "remote datastore" "source datastore" and "local datastore" "target datastore"?
This way there will be no chance of mixing and deleting all backups you had if "remove vanished" was ticked :)

Calling "remote" source hosts disturb me aswell:
From my understanding, intuitively, a remote host will be something not on the main site.
i'll find more intuitive it it was called like "source host" or something, so you immediately know what you'll configure there and not mixing source and target hosts.

Thanks for your great work again!

Hi!

The suggestions sounds better, I'd alter that and the order a bit so that it looks like:
Source Remote: [ ]
Source Datastore: [ ]
Local Datastore: [ ]

when adding a sync job. Source should clear up that the backups will be pulled from there to here locally, and ordering source remote and datastore together fits better, as they together define what's pulled.

We discussed also to untick the "Remove Vanished" by default, as it's safer that way.

Thanks for your feedback!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!