[SOLVED] Suggestion for a template to use to host a flexlm daemon?

cosmos

Apr 1, 2013
Hello,

running 6.2 here. I have to install a Flexlm license server to handle a couple of Autocad network (floating) licenses. Obviously this is not a tough job and flexlm does exist for Linux (AFAIK, see also https://www.plexim.com/dstlm ). Therefore I'd like to avoid using a full KVM for the purpose. Does anyone know if an LXC template for Flexlm exist? If not, what could I use to have a minimal impact on the system (which LXC template that is).

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Yes, it is a plain enough installation indeed. If I wanted to avoid going full KVM here, is there any LXC template I could use that is suitable?

And please pardon my lack of knowledge...

i would use what i am most comfortable with, there are templates available for many major linux distros (ubuntu,debian,centos,alpine,arch,...)

Just FYI, I like Alpine a lot but it isn't binary-compatible with other distributions because it uses Musl libc instead of Gnu. If flexlm is a script of some kind (e.g. Perl, Python) or it is a Java app or they provide source then it would be fine.

I could use whatever distro, but since the hypervisor is Ubuntu-based I thought that some templates (Ubuntu perhaps) could present less overhead than non-ubuntu ones... Hence for my question.

I don't think it really matters. Containers use the host kernel and most Linux distros use the same major libraries. Any differences are going to be minor as far as flexlm clients or in terms of server loading.

Alpine is arguably less resource intensive than most due to the design and features of Musl Libc and the use of BusyBox but the trade-off is binary compatibility not being guaranteed.

ETA: I would be inclined to go with the newest OS that flexlm lists as supported.

Reactions: cosmos
I don't think it really matters. Containers use the host kernel and most Linux distros use the same major libraries. Any differences are going to be minor as far as flexlm clients or in terms of server loading.

Alpine is arguably less resource intensive than most due to the design and features of Musl Libc and the use of BusyBox but the trade-off is binary compatibility not being guaranteed.

ETA: I would be inclined to go with the newest OS that flexlm lists as supported.
Thanks that's what I was looking for!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!