[suggestion] Folders for VMS

flourodbs

Sep 21, 2022
Hi,

my suggestion is to have the possibility the create Folders, like on VMWare or even Active directory, to organize the VMS eg:

proxmox-1/
├─ development/
│ ├─ project-1/
│ │ ├─ vm1
│ │ ├─ vm2
├─ production/
│ ├─ project-1/
│ │ ├─ vm1

instead of the current one:

proxmox-1/
├─ vm1-project-1-production
├─ vm1-project-1-development

the folders would help too on backup, eg: with the folder tree above we only would like to backup production, so we select the folder production and it would only backup vms inside the folder instead of selection one by one and everytime we add a new add a new vm add on the backup list.

Edit: Might aswell add that instead of the tree starting on the servers, it should start on datacenter (like it is now) and inside the datacenter should be the servers and storages. Instead of vms going inside the servers it should start the created folders and inside the vm a field with information on which server are the resources allocated.

Last edited:
instead of the current one:

proxmox-1/
├─ vm1-project-1-production
├─ vm1-project-1-development
The current setup is more like:

Code:
datacenter/
|-- production
|   |-- project-1-vm-1
|   |-- project-1-vm-2
|-- development
|   |-- project-1-vm-1
|   |-- project-1-vm-2

or

Code:
datacenter/
|-- project-1-production
|   |-- vm-1
|   |-- vm-2
|-- project-1-development
|   |-- vm-1
|   |-- vm-2

with pools, but in general, I see your point and it is a good suggestion.

The current setup is more like:

Code:
datacenter/
|-- production
|   |-- project-1-vm-1
|   |-- project-1-vm-2
|-- development
|   |-- project-1-vm-1
|   |-- project-1-vm-2

or

Code:
datacenter/
|-- project-1-production
|   |-- vm-1
|   |-- vm-2
|-- project-1-development
|   |-- vm-1
|   |-- vm-2

with pools, but in general, I see your point and it is a good suggestion.
I don't use pools on my setup so mine is just the vms all together. What's the benefits for using pools? I don't see a good enough benefit to use them.

I don't use pools on my setup so mine is just the vms all together. What's the benefits for using pools? I don't see a good enough benefit to use them.
Is more organization not enough? Normally you can also set permissions based on pools, so that you project 1 members just see their project 1 pool.

Is more organization not enough? Normally you can also set permissions based on pools, so that you project 1 members just see their project 1 pool.
I mean it can work but imagine the following scenario: you are in a group of companies and every company has a project that requires 2 servers.

For that scenario I would rather have:
company-1 > Project-1 > vms
company-2 > project-1 > vms

instead of:
company-1-project-1 > vms
company-2-project-1 > vms

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!