Success Rate of Live Migration between AMD Threadripper Pro and Ryzen 9 Processors

bushev

Jan 25, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to expand my Proxmox cluster, which currently consists of a single node with an AMD Threadripper Pro 7975WX processor, by adding another host. While I only need one host for my workload, I require the additional host for live migration purposes. In my infrastructure, I have critical virtual machines hosting Docker containers that I cannot afford to reboot due to user interactions. However, I anticipate needing to reboot my primary node and would like a backup node to avoid disruptions.

Due to cost constraints, purchasing another Threadripper Pro is not feasible for me. Instead, I'm considering building a new node with an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X processor, which shares the Zen 4 architecture with Threadripper. Additionally, the lower price point of this build, under $2000, is attractive to me. Furthermore, I'll be able to install non-buffered ECC memory, up to 128 GB DDR5, to accommodate my critical virtual machines.

My question for the forum is: what success rate can I expect for live migrations between these two processors? I aim for a 98% success rate, understanding that occasional issues may arise. However, I'd like migrations to occur smoothly without freezes or crashes.

Just a side note, I also have another node with an Intel processor and a QDevice in place to ensure the cluster's coordinated operation and voting. This setup guarantees the stability and consistency of the cluster but does not allow me to make live migrations.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Hello,

In principle doing live migrations should work as long as you select a CPU type for each guest that works the same on both CPUs, e.g. that only implements CPU flags supported on both CPUs.

By default we use `x86-64-v2-AES` which should work. Do note though that it is very hard to say whether it will work as two different CPUs might have a slightly different internal implementation of the same CPU flag.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!