[SOLVED] Strange syslog message

Sebastian2000

Oct 31, 2017
Hello

I am seeing some warning in syslog :

Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: alert [TOTEM ] Invalid packet data
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Digest does not match
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Received message has invalid digest... ignoring.
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Invalid packet data
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: error [TOTEM ] Digest does not match
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: alert [TOTEM ] Received message has invalid digest... ignoring.
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: alert [TOTEM ] Invalid packet data
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Digest does not match
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Received message has invalid digest... ignoring.
Nov 12 10:05:41 node1 corosync[25795]: [TOTEM ] Invalid packet data

I have 4 node in this cluster in proxmox 5.1, cluster have been made with public ip, all ip are responding correctly to ping.

This is a very bad idea.
And propably the cause of this syslog messages.

Well, for now, I not have yet the private network isetup n other node, but why it's an so very bad idea? they are connected correctly to an switch at 1Gb/s and there is no problem in connection communicacion, explain a little more why can be the cause of these message please...

but why it's an so very bad idea?
Because anyone in the internet can send an UDP packet to your proxmox host and ports 5404, 5405, this will confuse the corosync process as you can see in the syslog message. You should protect your proxmox network with a firewall.

Please insert one extra networkcard in each host and enter an IP from another subnet. You need no gateway. Only ip and subnetmask. I do this here with ipv6. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

Tomorrow I will recieve our SPF cable to have internal network, can I easily change cluster IP? I have virtual working on node1 who is the cluster master, but no for now in the other 3 nodes that are slaves nodes.

Tomorrow I will recieve our SPF cable to have internal network, can I easily change cluster IP? I have virtual working on node1 who is the cluster master, but no for now in the other 3 nodes that are slaves nodes.

Ok, sorry, seem I can do it as described in "Separate After Cluster Creation" section, I will try tomorrow and hope that will stop syslog warning.
Thanks for your help...

I have change yet our cluster with internal IP and all work fine, no more message in syslog.
@fireon, I just refer to node where have been created the cluster (bindnetaddr)... Sorry for the "master" word that's not correct...

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP (@Jarek and @fireon)!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!