Strange network error - host is "LAN only"

shamael

Aug 7, 2009
[SOLVED] Strange network error - host is "LAN only"

Hallo, I am experiencing a very strange network error and I have no idea what to check next.
My proxmox server sits behind a pfsense firewall. The problem is basically that on the host LAN works but WAN doesn't: I ping and ssh to other LAN machines (including guests) and all is well, but as soon I ping an outside machine or try to apt-get I get timeouts.
The strange thing is that guests work correctly.
At first I thought it was the firewall and some NATting error but it isn't, in fact when I try a tcpdump on the server interface I see pings and connections correctly coming back from the internet.
The issue came out after upgrading to 1.6 (all had been well in previous versions), although I am not too sure the two things are connected. I have not made changes to the network configuration after upgrading.

Last edited:
pls post the output of 'pveversion -v', make sure you use the very latest packages and test again.

At the time of the first posting I had:

pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-3-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-13
pve-kernel-2.6.32-3-pve: 2.6.32-13
pve-kernel-2.6.24-7-pve: 2.6.24-11
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-7
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

I've now updated manually (downloading the packages from another system) and I should now be up to the latest versions. This is the output now:

pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-19
pve-kernel-2.6.32-3-pve: 2.6.32-13
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-19
pve-kernel-2.6.24-7-pve: 2.6.24-11
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-8
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Unfortunately, the problem remains... :(

I've also tried disabling ipv6 but it didn't help.

Thanks!

I ping and ssh to other LAN machines (including guests) and all is well, but as soon I ping an outside machine or try to apt-get I get timeouts.
The strange thing is that guests work correctly.

What is the output of "netstat -nr" on the host and on one of the guests where it is working?

Ah you tipped me in the right direction! I had two bridges up from an old configuration; when I disabled the one I wasn't using, I gained back normal connectivity. I don't know why upgrading to 1.6 exposed this issue, though, nor whether I would face this problem again if I had to create a second bridge.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!