Storage size when restorting .tar.gz container

Sharky04

Oct 30, 2018
When restoring a .tar.gz backup of a container the correct storage and ram size is restored too.

Where is that information saved? Inside the .tar.gz backup?

For containers, it is stored inside the tar file. The first file of the tar archive contains the VM config.

I mean the filename of the VM config file inside the tar archive where the ram and storage size is stored.

I know dump files are in /var/lib/vz/dump

'./etc/vzdump/pct.conf'
(you can check the contents of a tar.lzo archive with `tar --lzop -tf $tar.lzo`)

I hope this helps!

Thanks. Since the UI doesn't allow to size down containers I plan to do a backup, change the rootfs size inside pct.conf, then restore with smaller size.

That did work. I have sized down a container from 40 to 8 GB. It would be neat if during restore the size of the container could be configured.

That did work. I have sized down a container from 40 to 8 GB. It would be neat if during restore the size of the container could be configured.

it does (on the CLI/API level, but not exposed on the GUI). you can actually totally reconfigure the container when restoring, including splitting up mountpoints differently than they were before ;)

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!