[SOLVED] Storage question

Martinjo84

Sep 25, 2015
HI

I have 2 storage question

1. Whats is the preferred shared storage method

2. i have used thisfor making a storage iscsi server
http://www.tecmint.com/iscsi-initiator-client-setup/

When the iscsi share is giving to my 2 node proxmox cluster, i can only point one vm on the iscsi share, i thougt i could point iscsi to proxmox and then make multible vm on iscsi share?

Last edited:
An iSCSI share cannot be used as shared storage unless you put a cluster aware file system on top. You can however, have different routes to the same iSCSI share which is called multipath.

Okay, i thougt that

Just have proxmox reserve the space each time i made a VM og container, just like with local storage.

What if i use NFS can i use that as i do with local storage?

What do you guys use?

An iSCSI share cannot be used as shared storage unless you put a cluster aware file system on top.

Not sure what you talk about. We support using LVM on top of iSCSI shares for years now. You can even configure this on the GUI.
And there is no need to use a cluster aware file system.

When the iscsi share is giving to my 2 node proxmox cluster, i can only point one vm on the iscsi share, i thougt i could point iscsi to proxmox and then make multible vm on iscsi share?

Yes, that is no problem. Just create an LVM storage using the iSCSI share as base storage.

Using CLVM is a way, but this disable the use of containers or requires an extra file based storage for containers. I assumed OP was looking for a solution for both CT and VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!