Storage pool shown as full, but its contents are not big enough (newbie)

cobordism

Apr 11, 2023
Hello all,
I am just getting started with Proxmox and I apologise if I am missing something basic.
I have one 2TB hard drive for high-io operations. I created a storage pool using just this hard drive. I created one VM to use this storage pool - one disc created using lvmthin.

The storage in the VM grew to approx.0.9T and then it crashed with an IO error - the storage pool showed 100% usage.
I managed to mount the disk manually on the host using loopback
Code:
losetup --partscan /dev/loop1 /dev/mypool/vm-100-disk-0
mount /dev/loop1p1 ./temp
but found only 834242 MB used.

This was the volume group.
Code:
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               mypool
  System ID             
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  7
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               <1.75 TiB
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              457854
  Alloc PE / Size       457726 / <1.75 TiB
  Free  PE / Size       128 / 512.00 MiB
  VG UUID               iddikd-XGg6-9Zun-a0AB-Y1cS-Jflq-Yzhpf8

The only logical volume in the group was vm-100-disk-0.
unfortunately there is no point in digging any further here, because I then proceeded to think
Code:
pvmsm free
would show me the free space on the volume ... #facepalm.
...and yeah, I deleted it.

It's not a big problem yet, luckily. I had only just set this up 2 days ago as a test. However, before I make the same mistakes all over again, where can I learn about how storage works, where can I get good insight into the storage used by my VMs and my disks, without being completely overwhelmed by too much info.
I have one server, with three hard drives, of which one is supposed to be reserved for one specific VM. I have used lvm thin provisioning before - notably in QubesOS - and by my reckoning, mypool should have only been 50% used. What am I missing?

thanks,
-c
PS I created the pool and vm on web interface using almost entirely defaults provided. Did not set up lvm manually.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!