Storage Management and LVM-Thin Configuration

haldarritam

Jan 19, 2024
Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out to you all as I’ve encountered a bit of a puzzle with my mini PC setup. I’m fairly new to this, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Here’s my current setup: I have a mini PC equipped with a 1TB NVMe SSD and a 1TB SATA HDD. I’m running Proxmox on the PC, which is installed on the NVMe SSD. As far as I understand, it seems to have been configured as an LVM-Thin by default. I’ve got a couple of Ubuntu VMs and a few Ubuntu/Debian LXCs running smoothly on the device. For the sake of consistency, I’ve also configured the HDD as an LVM-Thin. If this isn’t a good idea, please do let me know!

I’ve assigned the entire HDD storage to one LXC that’s running Debian and hosting a NAS using Samba. I’ve done the same with another LXC for a portion of the NVMe. I access these NASs from my VMs and store data in them. Recently, I’ve almost filled up the HDD.

In an attempt to free up some space, I deleted some large, unnecessary files through my VM that has the NAS mounted on it. However, when I check in the Proxmox GUI, the storage doesn’t seem to get freed up.

After doing some research, I learned that I need to manually run fstrim to free the storage. I ran fstrim on the Host Shell (Proxmox shell) and even set up a cron job for it. The logs show a significant amount of storage being freed from the HDD (which is /dev/sda), but the GUI still shows the storage to be full.

I’m a bit stumped here. What could I be missing? I’m open to running any commands that might help diagnose the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!