Storage 'local' does not support container directories when creating new containter

arjay

Apr 9, 2020
Hi,

I apologize if bumping this thread.

I am new to proxmox.

I am currently working and using cli to create containter but the problem is I always encountered

storage: storage 'local' does not support container directories

command been used are the following

pct create 100 /var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian-9-turnkey-asp-net-apache_15.1-1_amd64.tar.gz
pct create 100 local:vztmpl/debian-10.0-standard_10.0-1_amd64.tar.gz

Thanks

Hi,

You could either use another storage which can handle CTs a bit better, if you used the official Proxmox VE ISO to install you should have "local-lvm" or "local-zfs" (depending on install mode), check:
pvesm status

To list the available storages and specify it for your CT with the "rootfs" option, for example for creating on a local-lvm storage with 8 GB rootfs volume size do:
pct create 100 local:vztmpl/debian-10.0-standard_10.0-1_amd64.tar.gz --rootfs local-lvm:8

But actually you will probably also want networking and some other settings, so maybe start of adapting:
Bash:
pct create 100 local:vztmpl/debian-10.0-standard_10.0-1_amd64.tar.gz --rootfs local-lvm:8 --cores 2 --net0 name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,ip=dhcp --unprivileged 1 --password 12345 --features nesting=1

You can also enable Containers for the local storage:
pvesm set local --content backup,images,iso,rootdir,snippets,vztmpl

If you're pretty new to Proxmox VE I recommend using the Webinterface for doing such things, it assists one much more than the CLI.

The documentation may also help for some issues: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/

Reactions: arjay
Hi,

You could either use another storage which can handle CTs a bit better, if you used the official Proxmox VE ISO to install you should have "local-lvm" or "local-zfs" (depending on install mode), check:
pvesm status

To list the available storages and specify it for your CT with the "rootfs" option, for example for creating on a local-lvm storage with 8 GB rootfs volume size do:
pct create 100 local:vztmpl/debian-10.0-standard_10.0-1_amd64.tar.gz --rootfs local-lvm:8

But actually you will probably also want networking and some other settings, so maybe start of adapting:
Bash:
pct create 100 local:vztmpl/debian-10.0-standard_10.0-1_amd64.tar.gz --rootfs local-lvm:8 --cores 2 --net0 name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,ip=dhcp --unprivileged 1 --password 12345 --features nesting=1

You can also enable Containers for the local storage:
pvesm set local --content backup,images,iso,rootdir,snippets,vztmpl

If you're pretty new to Proxmox VE I recommend using the Webinterface for doing such things, it assists one much more than the CLI.

The documentation may also help for some issues: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/
Hi thank you for this quick reponse this solve my problem

Best,

Reactions: t.lamprecht
Small script to easy-create small Debian 10 containers on local-lvm

Bash:
touch /usr/local/bin/create 
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/create
nano /usr/local/bin/create

Add this

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
pct create $1 local:vztmpl/debian-10-standard_10.7-1_amd64.tar.gz  --description ct$1 --hostname ct$1 --memory 512 --rootfs local-lvm:8 --cores 1 --net0 name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,ip=dhcp --unprivileged 1 --password 12345 --features nesting=1

pct start $1

pct list

Use as:

Bash:
create 101
create 102
create 103
create 104

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!