Storage issues with LVM

blason16

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Proxmox Team,

I have just created LVM share and mount it using web interface. The one thing I noticed is; while mounting LVM, it doesnt provide options to choose from contents and by default it only takes Images. Now I have another storage which is by default created while installing on which I uploaded Ubuntu Template.

When I try to create CT strangely it doesnt show up new LVM storage and only gives the option where currently template is uploaded. Does any one have any clue why? OR can some one enlighten me on uploading template to LVM share?

LVM is a block storage. I does not contain a file system, so the use is limited for raw disk images (KVM).

So tell me one thing if backup can not directly be taken on LVM and Hot Backup can only be possible in LVM. How do I take backup on LVM volume as backup tab does not even detect LVM volume.

So how can I take online backup then?

looks like you are confused and you try to confuse us too. there are hundreds of posts regarding LVM backups in this forum so I suggest you search and read these threads.

Ok so I need to have VM machine on LVM partition and doesnt matter if Backup space can be anything. If and only if I have machine set up on LVM I'll be able to take a hot backup, is that correct?

Ok so I need to have VM machine on LVM partition and doesnt matter if Backup space can be anything.
Yes
If and only if I have machine set up on LVM I'll be able to take a hot backup, is that correct?
No,
there are different possibilities to snapshot an running system. One way is to take an lvm-snapshot if the VM use lvm-storage.
qcow2 also support snapshots - so you can use this also for hot backup.
AFAIK ceph is also usable.

Udo

Yes. Proxmox team is working, as far as I can understand from the repository, to a new way to backup KVM machines that will provide "snapshot backups" reagardless the storage they are and the image file format. At the moment the only "native" option for a snapshot ("hot") backup is have the vm on LVM volume (and some free space left in the VG to be used for copy of the data changed during the snapshot).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!