[SOLVED] Storage and hardware RAID

bfriconneau

Feb 4, 2021
Hi everybody,
Maybe it is a silly question but, for example a server with hardware RAID 5. Total space 6 To
According to my small experience, pbs installation will consider all the space as one disk, so nothing left for the storage.
But if i want pbs and the storage on one physical serveur, the same physical serveur, how can i do ? Is it possible ?
Is there some command(s) or tool(s) to split the space in 2 virtual disk, for example : 100 Go for pbs and 5,9 To for storage ?
Regards

Hi,

if you don't use the iso installer and start with a fresh install of Debian 10 instead, you can partition your hardware-raid to your liking. You will just need to add the proxmox backup repository afterwards and install the proxmox-backup-server package.

"you can partition your hardware-raid to your liking"

During pbs installation, i've allready try something like this : resizing the disk to a smaller size.
But it creats an other empty partition, not another disk. So, not recognized for using it as storage
Maybe i've done it by a wrong way ?
Which commands must I do ?

From your description, I'm assuming that you just want to set up a file system on the unused space.
To set this up, firt set the HD size in the installer to the size you'd like for the root partition and install the system.
After the system has been installed you can create a partition and file system on the empty space with fdisk [1] and mkfs [2].

Rough steps to create the partition with fdisk (please read the manual before doing this to avoid any bad surprises)
Code:
# fdisk /dev/sdX        # this is the storage device
Command (m for help): n        # add a new partition
Partition number (4-128, default 4): [enter]           # accept defaults
First sector (58720257-134217694, default 58722304): [enter]
Last sector, +/-sectors or +/-size{K,M,G,T,P} (58722304-134217694, default 134217694): [enter]
Command (m for help): w        # write changes to disk

Build a file system on the new partition (e.g. /dev/sda4) and mount it (again, read the manual):
Code:
# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4
# mount /dev/sda4 /path/to/mountpoint

Also note that datastores don't necessarily need their own disks/partitions and multiple stores can be set up on the root partition.

[1] https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/fdisk.8.html
[2] https://linux.die.net/man/8/mkfs

Last edited:
Works perfectly thanks !

And here is what i have do with a 1To hard drive. Assuming that its name is sda
1- During the installation, resize the root partition to 100 Go
01.jpg

2-After install check the existing partitions and their size
Code:
fdisk -l

3-If ok, create a new partition
Code:
fdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): n
Partition number (4-128, default 4): 4
First sector (209715201-1953525134, default 209717248):<enter>
Last sector, +/-sectors or +/-size{K,M,G,T,P} (209717248-1953525134, default 1953525134):<enter>
Created a new partition 4 of type 'Linux filesystem' and of size 831.5 GiB.
Command (m for help): w

4-Check the existing partitions
Code:
fdisk -l

5-Format the new partition
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4

6-Create a directory
Code:
mkdir /backup

7-Mount the partition in the directory
Code:
mount /dev/sda4 /backup

8-Add datastore (sorry it's in french ;-))
02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: larsen and dylanw
Glad I could help and thanks for providing guide! Would you kindly mark the thread as solved so that others can can find the answer easier too? :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!