Stopped start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

deadbrook

May 6, 2020
Good afternoon !

I have a VM that started showing me the error below, could you help me?

Code:
kvm: -drive file=/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-sata0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0': No such file or directory

TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Could not open '/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0': No such file or directory

The virtual disk cannot be found. Check your storage system why the disk is lost.

Hi I am having a similar issue with Qemu exiting with code 1....here is the message:

kvm: error: failed to set MSR 0xe1 to 0x0
kvm: /build/pve-qemu/pve-qemu-kvm-5.1.0/target/i386/kvm.c:2713: kvm_buf_set_msrs: Assertion `ret == cpu->kvm_msr_buf->nmsrs' failed.

Note: I am running proxmox on top of Vmware Workstation as nested virtualization. We are testing proxmox pve for a LARGE project.

Best regards

Reuben

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs

if that works, you can make it permanent via the kernel cmdline

thanks fabian. It did it. How do I "make it make it permanent via the kernel cmdline"....any article you can point me too to accomplish it ?

Hi fabian...thanks for your reply and help. I admit it...I am new to linux...I tried to implement what is written in the link above:

"3.11.5. Editing the Kernel Commandline​

You can modify the kernel commandline in the following places, depending on the bootloader used:
Grub
The kernel commandline needs to be placed in the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in the file /etc/default/grub. Running update-grub appends its content to all linux entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Systemd-boot
The kernel commandline needs to be placed as one line in /etc/kernel/cmdline. To apply your changes, run pve-efiboot-tool refresh, which sets it as the option line for all config files in loader/entries/proxmox-*.conf. "

you gave me: echo 1 > /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs and i ran it in the termi al and it worked...now
in order to make it permanent I did:

1) nano the /etc/default/grub and added this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs"
2) then I ran update-grub

3) then I nano /etc/kernel/cmdline and the file is empty...I am sure i am doing something wrong at this point...

.could you please point me in the right direction....thanks and all the best reuven

well, the first thing to check is whether your system boots using grub or using systemd-boot (when in doubt you can add the option in both places/files though).

the actual stanza you want to add to the cmdline is kvm.ignore_msrs=1. the rest works like in the instructions :)

Hi Fabian thanks for your reply and your hand holding. It is greatly appreciated.

Regarding the boting question my system is using Grub 2.02+dfsg1-18pve1.
Quick question:
are the steps 1 and 2 above ok ? If so, then I should add the stanza to which file or files? /etc/kernel/cmdline?

All the best Reuven

no, either to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub (followed by update-grub to refresh the grub config), or to /etc/kernel/cmdline (followed by pve-efiboot-tool refresh to refresh systemd-boot's config - or both if you are not sure which bootloader is used.

Hi there.

I am having the same problem as @Reuven had. However, modifying the file 1) nano the /etc/default/grub and added this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs" . 2) then I ran update-grub . And also modifying/creating the file 1) /etc/kernel/cmdline and added this line: kvm.ignore_msrs=1 . 2) then ran pve-efiboot-tool refresh.
Did not work in any or both solutions and I still get the same error " Stopped start failed: QEMU exited with code 1"

However, running this command echo 1 > /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs, it does work and the VM can be started without any problem.

could any of you tell me how you actually solved this problem permanently, please?

edit: I am using nested virtualization windows 10 (host) -> VMware workstation 16 pro -> latest Proxmox (6.3-2)

Last edited:
you need to add 'kvm.ignore_msrs=1' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable, not the sys path and value..

Reactions: farofa
Hi there,

I get this error :

bridge 'vmbr2' does not exist
kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 512

Can anyone help me to solve it ?

Hi there,

I get this error :

bridge 'vmbr2' does not exist
kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 512

Can anyone help me to solve it ?
did you perform upgrades? have you rebooted afterwards? please do if you havent.
if the reboot doesnt fix the issue post your pveversion -v output and the VM configuration qm config VMID

Hello,

I am new to proxmox.

I have an errors:

kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: Failed to mmap 0000:01:00.0 BAR 3. Performance may be slow
kvm: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-ide1,id=ide1,bootindex=103: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units

Could anyone advise how to fix that?
Thanks

Hi ive got this error, can anybody help me?

"
kvm: -device nec-usb-xhci-id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on: Parameter 'driver' is missing
"

Hi,
Hi ive got this error, can anybody help me?

"
kvm: -device nec-usb-xhci-id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on: Parameter 'driver' is missing
"
please post the output of pveversion -v, qm config <ID> and qm showcmd <ID> --pretty, replacing <ID> with the ID of the relevant VM.

I have this problem and no start
kvm: -drive file=/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi1,format=raw,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0': No such file or directory

Can anybody help me?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!