SSH into VMs through OpenVPN tunnel

Alvks

Jun 1, 2019
I am trying to connect from my iPhone via Termius to my Linux VMs and via Microsoft RDP to my Windows VMs. My home network DHCP server is a Netgear R6700 router. I connect to it via OpenVPN on my iPhone while using public WiFi or 4G data. I know I am 100% on the network as I can actually open up my router's web interface and sign into the Proxmox GUI. There are no ports being forwarded on my router.

Termius is a mobile app that emulates a terminal for you to connect to Linux hosts via SSH. I try to connect to an Ubuntu VM and get a "failed to create socket" message. What would you check first? Do I need to set up static IPs on my router for these machines?

I am trying to connect from my iPhone via Termius to my Linux VMs and via Microsoft RDP to my Windows VMs. My home network DHCP server is a Netgear R6700 router. I connect to it via OpenVPN on my iPhone while using public WiFi or 4G data. I know I am 100% on the network as I can actually open up my router's web interface and sign into the Proxmox GUI. There are no ports being forwarded on my router.

Termius is a mobile app that emulates a terminal for you to connect to Linux hosts via SSH. I try to connect to an Ubuntu VM and get a "failed to create socket" message. What would you check first? Do I need to set up static IPs on my router for these machines?

At first I would try to connect via Openvpn from a standard PC if the connection works as expected. Implemenations at mobile phones/tablets are different from those in x86 environment (as Windows and Linux). If everything works there it's an iPhone problem, if not resolve the problems first on a PC basis.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!