SSH between nodes and replication

NextKarolis

Jun 27, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm currently moving my virtual machine infrastructure from VMWare to Proxmox and have noticed a few things that seemed odd (at least to a beginner).

Firstly, I've been able to ssh between the nodes in my cluster without entering the password (for example, I'm logged in as root on node 1 and can ssh as root into node 2 without being asked for a password, if I'm sshing from an outside machine, then it asks me for one), is this intended behavior or should I be worried that something is misconfigured?

Secondly, I've set up replication of VMs between two of the nodes. The first node is showing that the replication was successful, but I can't see the virtual machine on the other node. Is it putting the VM somewhere but not initializing it so I can see it on the web panel or does this indicate that the replication didn't work?

Thank you!

Hi!

Regarding 1: This is expected and perfectly fine behavior. The servers use passwordless SSH with private and public keys. Google "ssh passwordless login" for more information.

Regarding 2: You should see the replicated disk of the VM if you check the "Content" of the storage on the second node. The VM itself is only shown on the host it is currently running on. If you migrate the VM (most likely needs to be done offline) to the second node it will be shown there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!