SPICE makes Linux desktop VMs crash

Ryan_Malone

Mar 31, 2024
I followed this guide to set up some PopOS and Mint VMs. My intention was to try and make these gaming VMs and move off of Windows, so not having audio is a deal-breaker. The VMs work fine when I use NoMachine to connect and I can get audio with NoMachine. However, as soon as I connect using SPICE and Virtual Machine Viewer, I can get audio by testing system sounds, but if I do anything else like open a menu, browser, app, etc. it immediately crashes and restarts. I've tried this on a host with Xeon and another with a 13th gen i7 and the same exact behavior happens on both hosts and with Mint and PopOS. Is there perhaps a step I need to complete that isn't in the noob guide link above or anything anyone can think of which I might be missing?

This just starting happening to me with PopOS. I have been running PopOS for over a year as main work VM with spice and with in the last 6 weeks the VM will randomly crash. Prior to that a few times the display over spice would lockup and I would have to reboot the VM, Now it just crashes way more often. I'm starting to dig into this and will post here what I find.

Hi,
do you see anything in the host's system logs/journal when the issue happens? Is the crash only inside the VM or does the whole QEMU process on the host die? Can you check when you last updated QEMU in /var/log/apt/history.log and started the VM with the new version (in the VM's Task History)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!