SPICE client: launch file disappear every time I launch a session

FiNaR

Sep 23, 2021
Hello All,

I am new here and I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what....

Configuration:
  • VM: Ubuntu 20.10
  • Client: Windows 10
I have installed Virt Manager Client here: https://virt-manager.org/download/ once installed, nothing has appeared in the program menu... but I was reading that it is normal...

then, went to proxomox and configured SPICE as per picture below:

1632755506366.png

started the VM (Ubuntu) and from console chosen "SPICE"

1632755590820.png

this downloaded a file that once clicked, my session started

1632755725335.png

the connection file "self-disappears", hence next time that I want to remote session with SPICE, I still need to login into the Proxmox console and re-do it all from scratch....

Questions:

1) how can I have a "real client" configured and not every time "download a connection file"?
2) how can I remote from outside my LAN?

Thank you all

BTW, as I have another post, my dual monitor does not work :(

Attachments

• 1632755482592.png
    1632755482592.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 1
1) how can I have a "real client" configured and not every time "download a connection file"?
with the built-in methods/config/gui, that is not possible. there is a ticket in the file that is only valid for 30 seconds

you could add a spice config manually to the vm with the 'args' property, but then the built-in spice connection does not work anymore

2) how can I remote from outside my LAN?
you'd have to port forward the correct ports or use some kind of tunnel/vpn

in any case, you always can setup remote desktop software inside the vm and use that.

edit: also there is the example spice script under /usr/share/doc/pve-manager/examples/spice-example-sh which opens a spice client for a vm
just note that this also needs api access to generate the ticket

Last edited:
Dual monitor works with xrdp (you can apt-get it on Ubuntu). That works with MS Remote Desktop and other RDP clients and things like the clipboard and file transfer work ok.
Getting sound working can be a bit fiddly though. You need a separate xrdp-pulseaudio package, which has to be compiled. I think Ubuntu provides an xrdp-pulseaudio-installer package to automate that (I use xrdp on Debian which does not offer that so had to do it "by hand").

Dual monitor works with xrdp (you can apt-get it on Ubuntu). That works with MS Remote Desktop and other RDP clients and things like the clipboard and file transfer work ok.
Getting sound working can be a bit fiddly though. You need a separate xrdp-pulseaudio package, which has to be compiled. I think Ubuntu provides an xrdp-pulseaudio-installer package to automate that (I use xrdp on Debian which does not offer that so had to do it "by hand").
thank you for the info...

does it means you suggest to drop SPICE and use xrdp + any supported client?

That would be up to you. You can do both if you want.
what I mean is that it seems that SPICE is the way to go, but xrdp provide better feature... no??? (e.g. easy access from outside LAN, persistent client (and not every time downloading a connection file that last 30 seconds etc...)

in the case of xrdp, which client would you recommend? I use Windows 10, hence I assume MS RDP would be the choice... no???
:p

Thank you

I've never used SPICE so I can't really say which is better as far as features. I think RDP probably has broader client support, pretty much every popular OS has a client, which isn't true of SPICE.

RDP does provide sound, file transfer, and clipboard. It also allegedly provides USB forwarding but I haven't tried that. Sound is the weak link, sometimes there's delay issues when watching videos and as I said it is fiddly to set up. It works, but isn't all that great.

XRDP works very much like Windows Terminal Server. Multiple users can log in at the same time to their own accounts. You don't need to download a key file or log in to the Proxmox GUI, everything is handled in the VM. You do have to open the appropriate ports if you want access from outside your LAN.

As for clients I have used the Windows 10 client, the Microsoft's Android client, freerdp on Linux, and Apache Guacamole. They all work fine.

You can read about xrdp here: https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp

ETA: One disadvantage I can think of is that you do have a bit of LInux knowledge to set up xrdp. SPICE is completely external to the VM so you don't need any Linux know-how.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!