Spice 2d/3d acceleration - how to enable?

idecable

Sep 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure how I can specify to enable 3d and 2d acceleration in Spice per VM in Proxmox.

Do I have to specify it, or is it enabled by default?

Regards,

Marc

Reactions: aPollO
It's enabled by default when you use qxl as driver. In Windows you must install qxl graphicsdriver to use the feature. In LInux like Ubuntu i don't know, had no tested before.

Thank you.

Good to know it is enabled by default in Proxmox's QXL. I will keep testing!

Regards,

Marc

I still get bad performance in v3.4. (using Dell R910, 32core 2 threads 2.26ghz (4 sockets). Should I look into different version? CentOS 6.7 doesnt lag with Spice on that hardware. I have not tested Proxmox v4 yet.

I get bad performance, too. Using Ubuntu or Debian as guest OS. I'm tried a lot but it's always much more laggy than e.g. fedora or centos.

Auto-resolution in Ubuntu works for me now after i added the line
Code:
args: -device virtio-serial-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4

to the config of the Ubuntu VM.

Spice doesn't yet support 3D acceleration. so desktops that require it will run badly. Unity, cinnamon etc are a no go until kernel 4.4 and qemu 2.5 are released and true 3D is supported. For now the MATE desktop works perfectly.

sorry no. I've not used it for anything more than testing the odd bit of software, so haven't gotten to involved with testing out resizing etc.. It full screens without fault though on a ALT-F11 :)

Do you know how to get Linux Mint Mate working with auto resolution when resizing the spice window?

AFAIK you just need to install the vdagent packet inside and reboot (but I do not remember the name exactly)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!