Space used in ZFS

rafafell

Sep 24, 2016
Hello

We have installed ZFS enabled in proxmox 5. We left image and container in storage "ZFS" and backup, iso and template in storage "Directory >> ZFS", ok?

these two storage units share the same space, but monitoring the use of this space is not centralized, correct?

For example,

a zpool of 4 TB: in "ZFS" there is 1 TB and in "Directory >>> ZFS" 500GB

is there a way to know that 1.5 TB of the 4 TB was used?

best regards!

ZFS is completely different than other technologies, it states the free space of the whole pool, not individual zfs filesystems unless you set a specific quota for a disk. ZFS volumes is also different, but due to thin provisioning, everything is not as clear as it was before.

Reactions: rafafell
Thanks for the answer!

I have recently been using zfs and I am still evaluating the documentation and doing some tests.

I run the risk of losing some virtual machine using the same zpool for storage "ZFS" (image and container) and "Directory >>> ZFS" (backup)?

Set zpool-specific quota for data stored via storage ">>> ZFS directory" is a good output?

Maybe a compromise between "quota" and "reservation" is an interesting exit, right?

Since the "reservation" appears as a space used in zpool and does not limit the amount of data, using "reservation" in the ">>> ZFS directory" would not be a good idea? And a new "resevation" every backup made? I believe it would appear in the ZFS storage summary of GUI Proxmox, because ZFS would identify it as used space.

For example:

Code:
Backup 01

zfs set reservation=100G tank/data02

Backup 02

zfs set reservation=250G tank/data02

I believe that to make a script to automate this.

Yes @LnxBil, thanks for the reply!

is that if we indicate the "reservation" to the "Directory >>> ZFS" it would be possible for the proxmox GUI in the ZFS Disk Summary to know how much is actually available for "ZFS" without quota blocking, no?

another thing, how is it possible to do the zfs regression test suite on proxmox?

http://zfsonlinux.org/zfs-regression-suite.html

Best regards!

is that if we indicate the "reservation" to the "Directory >>> ZFS" it would be possible for the proxmox GUI in the ZFS Disk Summary to know how much is actually available for "ZFS" without quota blocking, no?

Sorry, I do not get what you exactly want. The free space of a ZFS pool is shown and if you do a reservation, that space is reserved (hence the name) and gone, so that you cannot use it otherwise. This reservation is the main difference between quota and reservation (both can also be applied to ref or logical if you use compression and/or deduplication). For a in depth-documentation, please refer to the zfs manpage.

another thing, how is it possible to do the zfs regression test suite on proxmox?

Maybe we can help better if you state what you want to accomplish and/or what your current problems are. Why do you want to run the tests in the first place? Have you done that for all other filesystems you used over the years?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!