Some problems (proxmox 4 + LXC)

hregis

Feb 11, 2011
France
www.inodbox.com
Hello

it's been several years that I use "proxmox 3" with openvz, and I was happy! I wanted to upgrade proxmox 4 and LXC, thinking I was going to gain performance, but I have only problems!

1- I have no quota management, which is extremely blocker as I manage web hostings which is based the above.

2 - AppArmor is can be very reassuring, but when you do not control, it can prove to be a great source of problem!

3 - I can not do during snapshot backups, which forces me to use the "suspend" mode, which sometimes crash, and crash my virtual servers. My customers are happy!

Is it possible to remedy the quota and snapshot? and if yes, how ? and if not, why do not we have warned before?

Is there a host server type and file system that is recommended? (RAID hard / soft, ext4, zfs, etc ...)

last point, I subscribed to a license in order to access the repository "enterprise", but I realize that most of the fixes that works is on deposit "no-subscription"! Why ?

thank you for your replies
have a good day

Snapshot support for LXC containers depends on the underlying storage, for example ZFS and Ceph provide snapshot features which can be used by PVE.

Regarding the repositories, please see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories for an in-depth description. The no-subscription and test repositories are used to evaluate fixes and new features, if no problems are found the updated packages are made available in the enterprise repository soon after.

Reactions: hregis
Hello

it's been several years that I use "proxmox 3" with openvz, and I was happy! I wanted to upgrade proxmox 4 and LXC, thinking I was going to gain performance, but I have only problems!

1- I have no quota management, which is extremely blocker as I manage web hostings which is based the above.

2 - AppArmor is can be very reassuring, but when you do not control, it can prove to be a great source of problem!

3 - I can not do during snapshot backups, which forces me to use the "suspend" mode, which sometimes crash, and crash my virtual servers. My customers are happy!

Is it possible to remedy the quota and snapshot? and if yes, how ? and if not, why do not we have warned before?

Is there a host server type and file system that is recommended? (RAID hard / soft, ext4, zfs, etc ...)

last point, I subscribed to a license in order to access the repository "enterprise", but I realize that most of the fixes that works is on deposit "no-subscription"! Why ?

thank you for your replies
have a good day

do NOT use LXC.

LXC is NOT OpenVZ alternative.
LXC s NOT OpenVZ successor.
LXC is not a true container system. - Lacks tons of features and depends on tons of ubuntu apparmor crap.

Use KVM if possible. Or do NOT upgrade your proxmox 3.x Installations to 4.x

LXC is a useless, untested, unmature virtualization technology added to proxmox v 4.x to get rid of OpenVZ.

Please read dozens and dozens of other forum posts about LXC problems.

Reactions: Zooran
LXC is a useless, untested, unmature virtualization technology added to proxmox v 4.x to get rid of OpenVZ.

There are people with a slightly different opinion here ...

But if you expect virtualization, you should not look on containers, use qemu instead.

snapshots depend on the underlying storage - which might be a FS (like ZFS) or some other storage layer/technology (like Ceph, or Qemu for VMs).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!