Some kind of backup appliance

Kerridge0

Feb 22, 2009
I'd like to see some kind of backup appliance.

I'm familiar with backuppc and it would be great just to bash out a new template of one of these at my customer sites, it's really useful for backing up laptop when the road warriors drop in for an afternoon, and keeping old backups in case people delete stuff.

I'd like to see some kind of backup appliance.

I'm familiar with backuppc and it would be great just to bash out a new template of one of these at my customer sites, it's really useful for backing up laptop when the road warriors drop in for an afternoon, and keeping old backups in case people delete stuff.

I just read a bit about this, looks interesting. I will take a deeper look.

There is really no need to have such appliance as for BackupPC you should simply install some common distribution like Fedora and simply do yum install backuppc. That's it. You have installed all what you need. So it can by only useful to have some tutorial for beginners how to start. There is already everything what you need in documentation http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html.

But there is one problem with migration of such VM. BackupPC use heavily hard links and attempt to migrate VM with few backuped machines each with some full backup and number of incremental backups can lead to long migration and resulted VM will be without hardlinks and will occupy much more space than soure VM. In this case, it is better to make a new BackupPC VM and transfer configuration and start new backups.

Configuration and setting up secured ssh access to backuped hosts have to be done manually so virtual appliance will differ to basic os appliance only with basicly one installed package including dependencies. So there is not big deal to setup such VM whole manually.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!