Feb 7, 2022
Hi guys,

I have installed Proxmox VE on the following hardware:

AMD B550 Gaming Mini-ITX
AMD ryzen 5700g
32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance PRO
SSD Samunsg 980 as OS storage
SSD Crucial 1TB as VMs storage

Following qm confid ID command for both Linux (ID: 100) and Windows (ID: 101)

Code:
agent: 0
balloon: 2048
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1637577026
name: Ubuntu
net0: virtio=52:C0:50:DD:A6:04,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: vm:vm-100-disk-0,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=5e900d6a-82ea-430e-ae7a-79133a8b3205
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vga: qxl,memory=32
vmgenid: f67cc8a3-d73b-4b47-961a-0cecbae7634a

Code:
agent: 1
balloon: 0
boot: order=ide0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
ide0: vm:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=60G
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.215.iso,media=cdrom,size=528322K
machine: pc-i440fx-6.1
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1643365799
name: Windows-10-LTSC-2021
net0: e1000=2E:95:7F:F1:72:F4,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=d0eee813-712a-4bab-b66c-381a97e7e06a
sockets: 1
tablet: 1
vga: qxl,memory=32
vmgenid: 49f0d6c9-65ed-41b2-bdcc-cb85140e08e9

I have already tried to increment RAM and CPUs resources as well as installing VirtIO drivers for Windows but nothing changes in terms of performances

Any ideas?

Thank you

If you don't plan to run a cluster you should set the CPU type from "kvm64" to "host" for best performance.
Graphical performance is always not that great without PCI Passthrough as your GPU can't be used and everything needs to be done in software by your CPU (so you are basically back in the 80s running everything without a GPU for 2D/3D acceleration so that even simple stuff like watching a youtube video might be choppy).

Last edited:
"VMs are slow and laggy" - How? Accessed from where? From direct video output from the server? Accessed over SSH? Accessed over the console?

Some general suggestions:
- Change your machine to q35. i440 is ancient.
- For CPU, use host, unless you have a specific reason.

"VMs are slow and laggy" - How? Accessed from where? From direct video output from the server? Accessed over SSH? Accessed over the console?

Some general suggestions:
- Change your machine to q35. i440 is ancient.
- For CPU, use host, unless you have a specific reason.
I use to access my Proxmox server through SPICE protocol (as said I installed all drivers within Windows VM) via WiFi. Meanwhile, I changed to q35 and CPU host and the Linux VM is much more reactive, while the Windows one (with q35) can't boot giving me "blue screen" INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

How can I solve?

I use to access my Proxmox server through SPICE protocol (as said I installed all drivers within Windows VM) via WiFi. Meanwhile, I changed to q35 and CPU host and the Linux VM is much more reactive, while the Windows one (with q35) can't boot giving me "blue screen" INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

How can I solve?
Hmm, I wonder if Windows does some kind of install specific to the machine it finds itself in...would make sense to me that it would. You might be stuck having to do a clean Windows install. Oh well, probably for the best since I assume at some point you'd probably like to attempt to passthrough that iGPU to a Windows VM (I think it is possible, even on Ryzen).

Hi, I have noticed the a similar issue with a Fedora (Gnome) and a Manjaro (KDE) VM

SPICE display becomes slow and sluggish, sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds between mouse click and corresponding action.
I know - without a GPU in a VM and with moderate hardware power you can't expect to watch 4k movies or play the latest shooter, but this also happens when I minimize or maximize a static window or try to move it around on the desktop

CPU and RAM of the VM are not remotely exhausted and the interesting part: the noVNC browser console on the same VM is much faster and does not hang for several seconds all the time.

I wonder: Is SPICE supposed to be much slower and sluggish that the noVNC console ?

cheers
Michael

Hi, I have noticed the a similar issue with a Fedora (Gnome) and a Manjaro (KDE) VM

SPICE display becomes slow and sluggish, sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds between mouse click and corresponding action.
I know - without a GPU in a VM and with moderate hardware power you can't expect to watch 4k movies or play the latest shooter, but this also happens when I minimize or maximize a static window or try to move it around on the desktop

CPU and RAM of the VM are not remotely exhausted and the interesting part: the noVNC browser console on the same VM is much faster and does not hang for several seconds all the time.

I wonder: Is SPICE supposed to be much slower and sluggish that the noVNC console ?

cheers
Michael
I assume you run Wayland? => use Xorg sessions for SPICE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!