[solved] Storage 'local' on node 'pve' grows without utilizing space with data

chiliheld

Oct 31, 2023
Hello everyone,
I've searched everywhere but unfortunately haven't found anything useful.
I became aware of the problem through I/O Error... checked... local disk full.

I suspect an Ubuntu installation on which I created chia plots in RAM.
Strangely enough, the local drive slowly grew from that day on, even though nothing was cached on the disk but only in RAM and then directly onto the TrueNAS. (The temp was also on the TrueNAS)
I mounted the TrueNAS drive in Ubuntu using the mount command.
I have already run Trim -a or -v / in Ubuntu and Proxmox shell but without any change.

Local is a 2TB SSD that only has 700GB of data on it but is 93% full.
All VMs have Discard=on

Is there another command or anything else I can do to reduce the disk utilization again?
I can't really think of anything other than reinstalling but that can't be the way...

Appreciate any help!

Hi,
by default, the local storage resides on the root filesystem. You can check with df -h what the usage for / is. You can use e.g. du -hs * | sort -h in a directory to see the usage of sub-directories and files. Good places to start to find out what's using the space are /var/log, the local storage, i.e. /var/lib/vz or the root directory / itself.

If you don't need to keep old logs, you can freely delete all files that end with .gz and even those that end with .1,
What (repeated?) logs messages in kern.log are causing it to grow to such large sizes?

First I did not get an answer in the german section that is why I reposted in worldwide section; second there are different answers and ways to go and third I would assume if anyone needs this solution better to have in both languages. So no regrets

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!