Snapshot blocked by pci-e device

slole

Apr 28, 2019
I am considering proxmox as a hypervisor for my home PC and I when I was testing, I tried to make a snapshot of a virtual machine with a GPU attached. Peoxmox gave me the following error: VM 100 qmp command 'savevm-start' failed - State blocked by non-migratable device '0000:00:1c.0:00.0/vfio-pci'.

I mostly want this functionality so I can "freeze" a VM, free the resources and open up a different one, without fully shutting down a VM.

Thank you for any responses

you cannot snapshot a vm with a passthrough device since we also have to save the internal state of the devices, which is currently not possible with real pci devices

Can I then somehow enable guest-side hibernation? In virsh this can be done by modifying these properties in the xml config: <pm> <suspend-to-mem enabled='yes'/> <suspend-to-disk enabled='yes'/> </pm>

you can either suspend from within, or use the qemu guest agent with 'qm guest cmd ID suspend-disk'

Reactions: slole
So suspending to disk is enabled by default?
what do you mean? if your guest supports it you can do it, but this requires configuration in the guest normally

what do you mean? if your guest supports it you can do it, but this requires configuration in the guest normally
I was just refering to the fact that this functionaity has to be enabled in virsh.
Thanks for the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!