Snapshot after Restore fails

abuhome

Jan 29, 2012
Hi,

i have a simple question. Here is the situation:
I restored a vm after a backup. The vm is a qcow2 format. The vm starts and everything is working. But i cant do snapshots of the vm anymore.

Is the snapshot feature not allowed anymore after a restore of a vm ?

Thanks

Greets

Alex

post your VM config, 'qm config VMID.conf'

Hi tom,

here it is
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide0: vserver:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,format=raw,size=10G
ide2: local:iso/CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso,media=cdrom,size=350546K
keyboard: de
memory: 512
name: testvm
net0: e1000=CE:C6:A8:DC:FA:56,bridge=vmbr0
net1: e1000=96:D6:7D:A3:22:37,bridge=vmbr1
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sockets: 1

Seems you have restored the vm on a block device (like a LVM storage) so now is in raw format. Raw format does not support snapshot. You need to use a file based storage (or storage compatible with vm snapshot) and have the vm HD in .qcow2 format.

Thanks for your answer. The original vm was on a lvm storage. I took a backup of it. Than created the same vm as qcow2 format. After that i thougt i could restore it and it will take the qcow2 format after the restore.

So the solution is dont restore a backup from a lvm storage vm to a vm that use qcow2 format in the future. Is this correct or is there a solution to convert it if the base vm isnt on an lvm storage anymore and uses now the qcow2 format.

Don't fully understand you... But beware that a vm can be stored in a file, that can be of different format (i.e. vmdk, qcow2, raw...), or can be stored on a block device. When is on a block device, Proxmox shows it as being "raw" since means that has no internal structure, like the file base .raw.
So if you restore a file based image on a block device storage, the restore program necessary will convert it in raw format and copied block by block (just to simplify the explaination).
At the moment, live snapshot needs qcow2 format since is the only format that has this feature.
See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Live_Snapshots

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!