SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) detected on host: hostname

Sep 11, 2024
Hello everyone,

We have a brand new Dell T560 server with four RAID 1 arrays on a Dell PERC 11 card.

Three of the RAID pools are SSD based, and the other one is a mechanical 7200 RPM based.

About 3 weeks ago we started getting these messages in regards to one of the SSDs with SMART errors.

Then we started getting SMART errors for three other SSDs too. At first I thought it might have been my luck, and I got a bad SSD. However 4 brand new SSDs being all bad, the chances are low I think.

I checked the Dell iDRAC reports before and after updating the BIOS and firmware based on Dell support recommendations, in both cases all of teh drives show as healthy.

My question is, would this be a false positive, or is Linux's SMART detection better than Dell's tools?

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: hostname
DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/bus/0 [megaraid_disk_07] [SAT], 24 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:
HFS3T8G32FEH-BA10A, S/N:KDD4T0001I1604A4J, WWN:5-ace42e-440003148, FW:DD02, 3.84 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
The original message about this issue was sent at Fri Aug 16 23:48:07 2024 PDT
Another message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: hostname
DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/bus/0 [megaraid_disk_01] [SAT], 16 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:
HFS3T8G32FEH-BA10A, S/N:KDD4T0001I1604A4K, WWN:5-ace42e-440003149, FW:DD02, 3.84 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
The original message about this issue was sent at Wed Sep 4 06:33:49 2024 PDT

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!