Small 2 Node Setup Questions

ballybob

Aug 13, 2022
I currently have two Mini PC with Proxmox in a cluster along with a raspberry Pi QDevice.
Each server has a public 2.5gbe and a private 2.5gbe (interconnected between the servers on separate subnet).

I am using ZFS on NVME on both servers.
I am currently using HA w/ Replication.

1) Is replication going to be the best way to prevent data loss and allow for fail over when a node goes down? I know CEPH is out of the question with only two nodes, is GlusterFS a better choice?
2) Will replication honor the cluster NIC priority, and use the interconnected 2nd nic for storage traffic along with cluster traffic when possible? I have the interconnected nic as the higher priority.
3) Is watchdog based fencing my best option here?

For question 2: What priority do you mean? Do you mean the priority that you use to select which port cluster-traffic should go over? if so: AFAIK, that's only for cluster stuff, and other things will ignore that, BUT if you already have it on a separate IP/IP-range, if you just only use that IP to set up the replication, it will honor it because it doesn't know about the existence of the other route.
On top of that (while for a 2-node cluster this PROBABLY won't matter), a quick quote from the cluster-manager wiki-page [1]
Wiki said:
We recommend a dedicated NIC for the cluster traffic, especially if you use shared storage.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

For question 2: What priority do you mean? Do you mean the priority that you use to select which port cluster-traffic should go over? if so: AFAIK, that's only for cluster stuff, and other things will ignore that, BUT if you already have it on a separate IP/IP-range, if you just only use that IP to set up the replication, it will honor it because it doesn't know about the existence of the other route.
On top of that (while for a 2-node cluster this PROBABLY won't matter), a quick quote from the cluster-manager wiki-page [1]

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager
Priority as in replication using the link. When I go to replication, I can't chose an IP to use, just VM ID. I assume I'd have to setup the replication manually? If so, how do I handle it reversing the replication to the other node when it is failed over? When I use the replication built-in to Proxmox, it will intelligently replicate vms to the other node regardless of which one is active. The replication tasks move over with it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!