Shutdown/Reboot issues and questions

jaytee129

Jun 16, 2022
Am having issues with shutdowns/reboots.

1. Windows 10 VM will not shutdown unless someone has logged in. I could set up autologin but that's not the most secure thing to do. Is there something I can/need to do to either enable shutdown in windows when no one is logged in, or a different command I need to send to the VM? I did look up the 'qm' command and could call it with option "--forceStop" but is that a hard stop or more of a "ignore hold ups" (like you can do with regular Windows PC) but not hard stop/reset? I don't really want to do a hard stop if I don't have to.

If it's about sending a special command, how do I make run that command when proxmox is told to shutdown/reboot? Is there a shutdown script somewhere?

2. I'm having issues with the whole machine not shutting down when I call for a reboot at node level. I've posted what I've found so far here. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-sometimes-hangs-on-reboot.111313/

Not hearing back though. Is this problem a sign that something may be corrupt and I need to reinstall proxmox?

Did you tested shutting down the VM using the qemu guest agent, acpi and from inside the VM?
My Win10 VMs also sometimes won't shutdown properly no matter how I try to shut them down. CPU load will go down to nearly zero for that VM and RAM usage will go up (probably because the guest agent is stopped by then and PVE will fallback to the KVM process RAM usage). I then have to abort the shutdown task and do a stop task to forcefully stop that VM.

I don't know what what the following mean: "using qemu guest agent", and "acpi" but there's no problem shutting down from inside the VM itself, and shutting down from Proxmox GUI for the VM (see sreenshot) - and that works regardless of someone logged in or not.

1656109801107.png

The problem only happens when I try to reboot at the node level

1656110241839.png

There are two ways how PVE shuts down a VM when you click on the shutdown button. If you installed the QEMU guest agent inside the VM and enable "QEMU guest agent" in the VMs options menu then it will use the guest agent to shut it down. If not it will send a ACPI command to the VM and shut it down that way.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!