Should I do backups and what exactly I need to backup if I should?

Eugene_Corn

Dec 2, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm new in Linux and in Proxmox at all. I have Linux Debian Proxmox server with VMs on it. I decided to install a couple of software to node for inventarisation and monitoring (OCS Inventory aggent and Zabbix). My question is: Should I make a backup of server before install this software and if I shold, what directories I need to backup to save data of node?

Hello everyone. I'm new in Linux and in Proxmox at all. I have Linux Debian Proxmox server with VMs on it. I decided to install a couple of software to node for inventarisation and monitoring (OCS Inventory aggent and Zabbix). My question is: Should I make a backup of server before install this software and if I shold, what directories I need to backup to save data of node?
You should always have a recent backup of your guests (Vzdump or PBS).
And in case you want to backup your hosts configuration too you should backup the complete /etc folder (especially /etc/pve) on a regular basis using your backup tool of your choice (for example using the proxmox-backup-client if you got a PBS running).

And if you dont want to reinstall PVE on a failure you can also use proxmox-backup-client or clonezilla on a bootable USB stick to create a blocklevel backup of your complete system disk to be able to restore a 1-to-1 copy of your complete debian/PVE.

Reactions: Eugene_Corn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!