Shared storage beween Nodes in Cluster Question

Joe Sudhoff

Jan 6, 2019
I have created a cluster and was wondering why there is a "?" next to each others storage. When I try to make a VM and logged into Node 1 I cannot use Node 2 storage. Am I doing something wrong? With this condition it will not allow me to migrate VM's between nodes.

Attached is a picture of what I mean. I am running 5.3-6 w/o subscription.

Attachments

• Cluster Share Issue.jpg
    Cluster Share Issue.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 96
Thomas,

Equipment: 2 Poweredge R710's w/ Dual XEON L5520's and each with 32 gig of ram.

Not sure if you wanted that command on 1 node or 2 so below are the results of the command on both:

Also, not sure if equipment info was needed:
2 Dell Poweredge R710's 1 w/32Gig of RAM and the other w/40Gig of RAM, both with Dual

root@zeus:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content vztmpl,backup,iso

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images

lvm: Z1000
vgname zeus_b
content rootdir,images
shared 1

nfs: ZX100
export /volume2/ZeusXpenologyA
path /mnt/pve/ZX100
server 192.168.4.27
content images,backup,vztmpl,rootdir,iso
maxfiles 1
options vers=3

lvm: A1000
vgname apollo_b
content rootdir,images
nodes zeus,apollo
shared 1

nfs: ZX101
export /volume3/ZeusXpenologySpare
path /mnt/pve/ZX101
server 192.168.4.27
content rootdir,iso,vztmpl,images,backup
maxfiles 1
options vers=3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@apollo:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content vztmpl,backup,iso

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images

lvm: Z1000
vgname zeus_b
content rootdir,images
shared 1

nfs: ZX100
export /volume2/ZeusXpenologyA
path /mnt/pve/ZX100
server 192.168.4.27
content images,backup,vztmpl,rootdir,iso
maxfiles 1
options vers=3

lvm: A1000
vgname apollo_b
content rootdir,images
nodes zeus,apollo
shared 1

nfs: ZX101
export /volume3/ZeusXpenologySpare
path /mnt/pve/ZX101
server 192.168.4.27
content rootdir,iso,vztmpl,images,backup
maxfiles 1
options vers=3

Last edited:
Because that's local storage and not shared storage. Marking strorage as "shared" does not share it - you'd need to do that yourself.

Not sure if you wanted that command on 1 node or 2 so below are the results of the command on both:

Thanks, everything in /etc/pve is shared between all cluster nodes in realtime, so as long as the cluster is healthy one output should be enough, just for your information :)

And yes, @tschanness is correct. You have a local LVM, so the other server cannot access it. The "shared" mechanism is for the case where you setup a really shared storage where PVE does not manage mounting and such, so you tell PVE that yes, this storage is really shared even if it does not look like it is.

If you want to provide shared storage on this two node setup you could try to setup GlusterFS, or the like. If you had a third node you could also setup ceph, which we can only recommend.

Thank you for the reply's and all the information. The A1000 and Z1000 are secondary drives ( RAID 5 via PERC6/i in the R710), those I had to go into the shell and use fdisk to create the pvcreate and the vgcreate, do that matter?

So I could take Z1000 and A1000 and put them in a GlusterFS?

Thanks again.

Joe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!