Share smb with hosts

proxmoxertj

Feb 23, 2022
I created a SMB/CIFS share from my NAS. In the Client VM - CT Ubuntu how to add access to this mount point. It seems all I would need to do is this but in the VM I go to that directory and it is empty.

If this is not the way then how would I go about doing this? I want to share this mount across multiple VMs.

1645622477830.png

hi,

you want to make a bind mount for that [0], which isn't possible over the GUI for now.

you can use the our CLI tool pct for containers: pct set 999 -mp0 /media/proxmox_share,mp=/media/mynewname will create a mountpoint inside the container pointing to the /media/proxmox_share on your PVE host.

if you want to do that instead in a VM, you will probably just have to mount it inside the VM like a normal fileshare, or do a disk passthrough. though i wouldn't recommend this setup if all you want to do is passing a share.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_bind_mount_points

hi,

you want to make a bind mount for that [0], which isn't possible over the GUI for now.

you can use the our CLI tool pct for containers: pct set 999 -mp0 /media/proxmox_share,mp=/media/mynewname will create a mountpoint inside the container pointing to the /media/proxmox_share on your PVE host.

if you want to do that instead in a VM, you will probably just have to mount it inside the VM like a normal fileshare, or do a disk passthrough. though i wouldn't recommend this setup if all you want to do is passing a share.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_bind_mount_points
Thanks for the information.

Reading about how this is probably not the best solution. So also looking into how to create a local disk storage and share access to the VMs then note all the uid, etc. issues. So, thinking I may just use a CT Ubuntu and rsync files there.

I have several VMs with output from jobs, etc. that I need in a central location. This central location will feed a elastic dashboard. rSync maybe the best solution from what I am researching. I dont need to store large amounts of data, talking ~20MB/day.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!