[SOLVED] Share directory in Proxmox with VM(s)

Bugbear

Dec 29, 2020
Hi there,

I would like to create a directory on my proxmox host e.g. `/share/somedata` and share it with, thus mount it on one or even multiple VMs.
Do you have some ideas how I can realize something like this? :)

You need to setup a SMB or NFS server. So you can either install a SMB/NFS server directly on your host (PVE is just a fancy Debian, so you can install/setup everything you could do with a Debian) or you could create a NAS VM/LXC.

Thanks a lot Dunuin!
Is there eventually also an option for directly sharing directory-storage on the Proxmox host with the VM through some Proxmox option directly, without any NFS or SMB server?

Last edited:
You always need to use some kind of network protocol to do that (if its 9p, SMB, NFS or SPICE). Directly sharing a local folder (like bind-mounts) only works with LXCs because they share the kernel and hardware with the host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!