[SOLVED] Severe issue with ZFS modules (Latest 6.2-10)

PT400C

May 30, 2018
Germany
Hello,

recently I followed this guide (https://github.com/angristan/wireguard-install) to install Wireguard on my Proxmox host Debian 10 machine. This worked fine and I used it back then. Days later I uninstalled Wireguard again, not noticing any problems.

But just as of today - I restarted the server - it seems like something with the Kernel (?) and ZFS broke. Executing
Code:
/sbin/modprobe zfs
I now get
Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
. That "bpo" part confuses me and I have no clue on how to proceed now. For a little reference, I installed Proxmox with the usual way, replacing a stock Debian 10 installation with it's Kernel.

Very much thanks in advance

PT400C

EDIT: It seems like that this installer messes with the Debian Backports repository (allowing my server to use that). Is there any way to reverse that process in case it is responsible for this outage?

Last edited:
You do not run a Proxmox VE kernel.

=> Boot into Proxmox VE kernel (you can select on the kernel on boot splash) and remove the 5.7 kernel from Debian Backports.

Thanks so much for your quick reply, tom! Could you maybe specify how I could do that with a headless machine? The server is located in a datacenter and not in my reach so far :/

EDIT: Is there maybe a way to mark this at runtime to boot into PVE the next time / startup?

EDIT2: Here's also a screenshot of my machine's boot directory (/boot) 1598027577177.png

EDIT3: The /build/grub.cfg also seems to be affected, it seems to use the .bpo. files.

Last edited:
I used
Code:
grep -A100 submenu /boot/grub/grub.cfg |grep menuentry
and then combined the submenu and menuentry strings with ">" and saved that in the /etc/default/grub file. Example line:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT="gnulinux-advanced-5baf861f-8e11-421a-94f9-4e1efde0ccd6>gnulinux-5.4.55-1-pve-advanced-5baf861f-8e11-421a-94f9-4e1efde0ccd6"

After that I used
Code:
sudo update-grub

In case this will now have fixed the problem I might reopen this thread :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!