[SOLVED] Setup USB Disk Image for Tailsguest

csuno

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, i'v found this old article: https://www.tobias-baeumer.de/virtueller-usb-stick-fuer-eine-kvm-in-proxmox/
-but this doesnt work on my setup. It just generates some install errors, when i try to install tails on disk virtual device

I try to setup a disk image and want the guest to think it is a usb drive.
With "normal" quemu (lib-virt) setup it was very easy.
Code:
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writethrough'/>
      <source file='/path-to-VM-Disks/tails-usb.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='sda' bus='usb' removable='on'/>
      <shareable/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
But with proxmox, i dpont find a easy solution.... so i have to ask for help ;)

Thanks

Works also without a problem, yet you have to add is via the qemu monitor:

Code:
qm> drive_add 0 if=none,id=usbdisk1,file=/path/to/usb-disk-win10-virtio-0.1.126.raw,snapshot=on
OK

qm> device_add usb-storage,id=usbdisk1,drive=usbdisk1,removable=on

you are right, i've test it again. With qemu monitor, and with "args" configuration... works both. Just the Tails installer is a bit tricky... but works now.

here my Conf:
Code:
args: -device piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18 -drive id=my_usb_disk,file=/my-zfs-pool/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.raw,if=none -device usb-storage,id=my_usb_disk,drive=my_usb_disk

Thanks for your testing.

Reactions: crazybyte

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!