SDN Networking Involving VPNs

trollsec

Jan 9, 2024
Hello All,

I've been working on separating my virtual machines and containers from my home network. I've successfully set up a simple SDN zone to serve as an isolated network, achieving my primary objective. Now, I aim to route all traffic from this SDN through a VPN tunnel to a cloud-hosted VPN. For clarity, imagine SDN A connecting to VPN Server A, which would serve as the gateway for all virtual machines on SDN A. For example, if I host a service on port 1234 on a virtual machine within SDN A, it should be accessible via port 1234 on the VPN server's public IP address. I use Cloudflare tunnels right now but am wanting to start moving away from it for better control.

My initial attempt at this involved using an OPNsense virtual machine as the SDN gateway and establishing a site-to-site WireGuard VPN to an OPNsense VPS. However, I couldn't access any hosted services from the internet, despite being able to browse the internet and verify the VPN connection through whatismyip.com. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if there's a way to accomplish this without an OPNsense VM, perhaps using another type of SDN. My goals are to avoid configuring WireGuard on each virtual machine and container as a separate VPN client, to completely isolate my virtual machines from my home network, and to make services available on the internet without port forwarding on my home router. I believe this setup is feasible, as I've seen similar ones, but none exactly like what I'm attempting. As I'm relatively new to SDNs, I welcome any guidance, no matter how basic it may seem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

ey there,

I was doing the same thing but using openwrt. I manage to make it work but Im looking for another solution now as openwrt is way to complex and requires to know exactly what you´re doing. You can follow this vid if you wanna try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPbrunpjpk&t=562s&pp=ygUXbm92YXNwaXJpdCB0ZWNoIG9wZW53cnQ=
Off topic - I followed the same vid and everything worked as shown up to the point of starting the VPN. Once I do the enable tick and start button, OpenWRT wants me to save changes. As soon as I save the changes (and start the service apparently), I lose access to the GUI.

Did you have this same issue? If so, how did you solve it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!