Scheduling Restore

Aug 10, 2022
so, I had a bit of an idea, not sure if it is even viable, so I though asking round here. So, I want to have a a functional uptodate duplicate of one of my vms in the case that the original croaks. I already have daily backups of said vm running, but I was wondering if I could set up an automated restore to another disk after the backup, so I have a copy of the vm I can just turn on and be back up in minutes instead of hours. Said vm is rather large and I am not running enough servers to set up a cluster, so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to set this up in one server, or if its even possible. Any ideas, recommendations, or reading material on the subject would be appreciated.

You would probably need to write your own script for that.
There is the PVE API and the proxmox backup client which both should be usable to restore a VM from CLI.

And I would guess that this will cause a lot of SSD wear, as backups won`t be restored incrementally. PVE will wipe the entire old VM and and restore all the data again.
In case you are using ZFS it might be better to just use ZFS replication and replicate your VMs incrementally from one PVE server to the other. They don't need to be in the same cluster: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync

Last edited:
Reactions: Harmless_Thinkbox
You would probably need to write your own script for that.
There is the PVE API and the proxmox backup client which both should be usable to restore a VM from CLI.

And I would guess that this will cause a lot of SSD wear, as backups won`t be restored incrementally. PVE will wipe the entire old VM and and restore all the data again.
In case you are using ZFS it might be better to just use ZFS replication and replicate your VMs incrementally from one PVE serber to the other. They don't need to be in the same cluster: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync
neat, thanks for the recommendation, ill look into ZFS then, since the wear, may not be ideal for my long term plans. Else ill get to playing with the proxmox api.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!