S.M.A.R.T. Data from USB-Attached HDD? (Proxmox 6.2)

Whitterquick

Aug 1, 2020
Hello all,

I can’t seem to find the answer to this so I will ask here. Does connecting drives via USB (in a multi-drive device) affect the ability to get S.M.A.R.T data from the drives? Does it depend on the device?

I want to know if I would be able to attach a non-RAID enclosure and still obtain S.M.A.R.T. data for the individual drives inside it if I passthrough to a VM (assuming I can get S.M.A.R.T. data from the individual drives if used on an OS installed locally without a hypervisor).

Hope that makes sense?

Does connecting drives via USB (in a multi-drive device) affect the ability to get S.M.A.R.T data from the drives?
short answer yes - most SATA to USB bridges do not pass through smart information.

still obtain S.M.A.R.T. data for the individual drives inside it if I passthrough to a VM
depending on how you want to passthrough the drives smart information also might get lost there.
e.g. 'scsi0: /dev/sdb' uses the virtualized scsi controller which has no knowledge of smart.

if you passthrough a disk-controller (via PCI passthrough) you could get smart values (if the controller supports it)

I hope this helps!

short answer yes - most SATA to USB bridges do not pass through smart information.

depending on how you want to passthrough the drives smart information also might get lost there.
e.g. 'scsi0: /dev/sdb' uses the virtualized scsi controller which has no knowledge of smart.

if you passthrough a disk-controller (via PCI passthrough) you could get smart values (if the controller supports it)

I hope this helps!

Can I pass through a multi-drive USB Enclosure as a PCI device? How is this done?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!