Running Sweet Home 3D on Windows 10 VM

pratahsinnetamby

Jan 15, 2022
I am new to promox and recently setup is up the PVE with a ryzen 9 5950x CPU ( which does not have a graphics capability) and a NViDIA GEForce GT710 graphics card. I have created a windows 10 VM and when attempting to run a 3D modelling software - Sweet Home 3D, I get an error ". . . fatal error in 3D rendering system. . . . please update the DirectX/OpenGL drivers for your computer graphics card". I have installed the virtIO drivers.

From my interpretation of the many discussions I've read, I may have to setup a GPU pass-through. It also seems like I may have to have a display connected directly tot he GPU. I was hoping to have the server "hidden" away in the garage and remote into it and run rendering type workloads when necessary.

Has anyone been able to get Sweet Home 3D running on a Windows 10 VM within PVE?

Any help would be much appreciated.

have you tried with 'SPICE' display? this includes the QXL virtual gpu which implements some 3d functionality (but is completely emulated in software). might be slow but enough?

From my interpretation of the many discussions I've read, I may have to setup a GPU pass-through. It also seems like I may have to have a display connected directly tot he GPU. I was hoping to have the server "hidden" away in the garage and remote into it and run rendering type workloads when necessary.

not completely true. you'd have to passthrough a gpu but you could use rdp/parsec/etc. to access the vm (sometimes it is necessary to have a 'dummy plug' inserted into the gpu so that it thinks a monitor is
plugged in)

have you tried with 'SPICE' display? this includes the QXL virtual gpu which implements some 3d functionality (but is completely emulated in software). might be slow but enough?

not completely true. you'd have to passthrough a gpu but you could use rdp/parsec/etc. to access the vm (sometimes it is necessary to have a 'dummy plug' inserted into the gpu so that it thinks a monitor is
plugged in)
Many thanks for your response, Dominik - I will have a look at the suggestions that you have made - it's all very new to me, so it may take a few goes to get it right! Thank you, once again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!